Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire order - Buckshots

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nike, Dec 14, 2000.

1. Nike

Nike Registered Member

Just a note to complement National Tire and Wheel (one of ColoradoK5's links) for excellent service. I made several calls to several places asking numerous questions about a set of tires for my project vehicle, and decided on a set of 315x85Rx15 Buckshot Mudders. Ordered them Monday Dec. 11. They arrived from Wheeling West Virginia Wednesday Dec. 13 in Jefferson City, Mo. WOW that was quick. A guy named Dave also answered several pertinent questions to my satisfaction. Many times one hears of bad service from suppliers, and I appreciate those, but I think good service should also be noted. Thanks Nike in Mo.

Blue

2. Topher

Topher Registered Member

That's good to hear. Hey what size lift, rim width & backspacing are you running? And how wide/skinny do those tires look when mounted? They measure 36" and have the 9.1" tread width right? Thanks.

(I had been thinking about a set of these but was concerned that they'd be too skinny for me)

Hope you like 'em!

Chris

3. Nike

Nike Registered Member

Topher - You are correct, the width is 9.1" and the heigth is a full 36". The backspacing on the 8" wheels that I used is 3" on the inside of the axel flange and 5 inches to the outside edge of the rim. I have 4" springs on the front and 4"blocks with about a 1" helper spring on the back. I will probably do a bit of fender trimming on the front. They look a bit skinny but the tread width measures 9.1'' and I understand the tread width on a BFG MT in the 35x12.50x15 size is only 9.7". This is the largest size tall narrow tire I have ever had but in some of the smaller sizes, I have had excellent performance from tall narrow tires. A good friend had some 7.50x16 mud tires on an old scout once,(open diffs) I had a jeep with 31x11.50.15 rough tread tires and a tru trac locker that worked well in the rear, and I honestly think he out performed me. Thanks Nike in Mo

Blue

4. Topher

Topher Registered Member

Hey thanks for the info Nike. I have to agree that tall & skinny definitely has it's pros. And they look especially cool on an older rig too. If you ever manage to get some pics of the tires I'd love to see 'em!

Take care,
    Chris

5. J.C.Staley

J.C.Staley Registered Member

I've been running 33x9.50x15s Kelly Safari's for 2 years with no lift and they work real well on my '84 K5. The only problem so far is there is no way I could put chains on the front and mud flaps are out of the question. Tonight I put 2" spring lift on the back and tomorrow we put a 2" spring lift in the front. Then I should have plenty of room for the chains and the mud flaps. I've always perfered narrow tires for the snow country.

6. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I ordered my 4 33" BFG muds on American Racing Baja Wheels from NTW this morning, they were really nice and helpful. I can't wait to get the tires.

Dawson
    88 K5