Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire Plugs and airing down

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtnman210, Nov 4, 2005.

1. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I picked up an nice big screw in my rear tire this morning. I pulled it and used a plug to fill the whole. How do plugs hold up when aired down and wheeling. I have a big trip to the desert in a couple weeks so if I need to get a new tire I'd have to order it quick. But if the plugs work fine then I don't have to worry about it.

2. BROKEN-ONE

BROKEN-ONE Registered Member

tire plug

which style plug did you use , the one that just get stuffed in to the tire from the out side ? there is another type that is a patch plug this is the one i like and would use. the tire has to come off the rim to install this one . as always it is good to have a full size spare with you on any offroad trips .

3. barneybasher1010

barneybasher1010 1/2 ton status

I did this yesterday morning and went to a tire shop and had it pached only 8 bucks. I had tires patched before and never no problems. :D

4. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I used the kind where you use a long plug on a hook and put it in by stuffing it in the whole.

well I guess if the plug won't work I think I could muster up the 8 bucks:haha:

5. BROKEN-ONE

tire plug

i have not had good luck with that one , in the cold it will seep air out . this was the case for the quick fix i forgot about on the last set of tires i had . i took the tire to firestone they put the plug out and put the patch plug in , and alla peanut butter sandwitches there was no more problems . :D

6. BudTX

BudTX Registered Member

I used the "ream out the hole and hook the plug in with lots of rubber cement" plugs for years in Texas and never had a plug fail me.

Moving to Kansas with the colder weather changed my perspective. Plugged tires leak in the cold, and can blow the plug out. I would only use a plug now to allow me to drive to the nearest tire shop for a patch.

Bud

7. BROKEN-ONE

where ?

where in kansas are you at ?

8. BudTX

BudTX Registered Member

Out in the country south of Louisburg, about 50 miles south of KC.

You?

9. BROKEN-ONE

5 miles from the leavenworth fed pen . out in the county . :D

10. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I have used plugs for years without any problems, in texas, colorado, now new york. Just today I ran into my first problem with a plug I put in the rear tire on my car last year. It has been slowly leaking for a few weeks. Just as an experiment I pushed the old plug into the tire and stuck 2 new ones back in. I am letting the cement cure overnight and see how it works. I know, 8 bucks is cheap enough, but I belong to the "lets see what happens" club.