Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tire poll again :(

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ftn96, Jul 27, 2001.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Ok, getting ready for the 14 bolt swap over.
    Got 700r4 with 4.10's and 33's.
    I want either the 36 TSL or TSLR, which would hurt me with the gears and tranny, but I dont have to use the overdrive till I can get around to re-gearing!

OR the SSR 35's which would be better for the gears, but the thread is a little lacking.

ALso this will be a 50/50 daily and I have to drive many a mile to get to the good wheelin spots.

Did you say I have monkeys flying outta my butt?[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

All I can say to this is the SSR is far from non-aggressive.........and they are great on-road. Very quiet for an aggressive mud tire..........and heck, the king of K5's run's them in 37" size [​IMG]..........Mr. Fox himself.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com>www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com</a>

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

SSRs. Boss was getting some good MPG on the higway with them but he runs 36"/4.56, I think. Even though the tread pattern is tighter its still a TSL design. What it cant do the bogger was mde to make up for it. And it aint on the list.

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Someone posted a while ago that the SSRs got second place in a mud pit comparison. Guess which got the #1 spot?
    Boggers of course!

That means they are nothing short of aggressive as you may think.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

For aggressive I'd say Boggers first with the SX a close second. Then my guess would be the TSL and then the SSR.

The SSR would be a good choice for lots of daily driving and long drives to the trail but the TSL Radial wouldn't be a bad choice either. Hell as long as it is not a Thornbird its hard to go wrong with anything made by Interco...[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

6. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Yep... and the SSR actually beat the TSLR or was it the TSL. Anyway, the SSR is a sweet tire.

89 K5 Silverado
    <a target="_blank" href=http://mudfrog.rockcrawler.com>http://mudfrog.rockcrawler.com</a>

7. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I think I like the 35 SSR, then after shaving the 14 lip I should be able to get about 10 inches of clearance from the pumpkin to the ground which is still not great, but better than the 9.5 I have now with the 10 bolt and 33 BFG's (32 actually,[​IMG])

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

8. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

why the hell dont they just make a 35 TSLR? [​IMG]

9. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

ssr's

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

10. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Thats what Im leaning towards

I pay ya to work it not jerk it![​IMG]

11. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

One word...SWAMPAHS!!!!! If I had to drive it daily I would get the radial versions to make on-road life more pleasant. I personally run bias Swampahs due to thems the only kind they make in 39.5" (on my 1 ton Suburban), and 42" (on my crewcab dually). But my daily driver '60 GMC Suburban wears BFG ATs, and the alternate CJ7 wears 35" BFG MTs (can't beat the radials fer the street). Good luck on your choice...them 37x12.50 SSRs are purty bad-aced!!!

ken

12. Csaba

Csaba Registered Member

I ran SSR's last year and ripped 2 sidewalls out in one week. They are awesome on slickrock and boulders, but the sidewalls are just too thin. This year I'm on 36" TSL's. No problems so far. Not nearly as sticky, but I haven't torn one apart yet. Depends on what you do.

13. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

HA i just about laughed out loud when i read the post of as long as its not thornbirds you cant go wrong with interco....i live 15min from the interco central plant in rayne, Louisiana ( pop. probably less than 10,000) down here we call thornbirds "stuckbirds" because if you put them in slop you are gonna be the first to need to be pulled out...sure they have lots and lots of sidewall but their fatal flaw is a crappy tread spacing that just gums you up in most situations

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer
    1982 Chevy C-10 Longbed

14. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

4.10 gears should pull the 36"s fine.

The reason that the SSR's beat the TSL's in the mud test in Petersens was because the TSL's were 15/35"s and the SSR's were 12.50"s.

They should have used the Q78 TSL's. They would probably have tied or beat the Boggers.
    I don't think Boggers are really that much more aggressive than the TSL's.

Lift It, Lock It, LIVE IT!!!

15. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

oh yeah the boggers have an advantage in the mud and other terrains...they are everythign just short of tractor tires....the treads just act as claws and pull and climb about anything short of a brick building...ask white knight the power of the bogger i'd like to see what she thinks they can't handle...then again they'll loose a street test anyday

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer
    1982 Chevy C-10 Longbed

16. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I'd go for a set of 37/13 boogers, But I'm worried about the side slip. Any one think they could cut 'em so they hold better on side hills? (check out the write up on the opening page, if you haven't allready)

I think I'm going to get 2 sets of tires, One set of Goodyear ATS for the street and snow. And something more agressive for trail runs. It would probably pay off in the long run.

Twiztid

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Check out the TSL-SX its almost as aggressive as the bogger but prolly better for lateral traction.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

18. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

The SX is THE tire of choice....if you want to play offroad. It has the sidewall lugs to climb up and out of ditches and creeks, and if aired down, the sidewall will be flexy enough to grab onto and absorb the rocks. Bite the bullet like I did, and run the SXs on the street. The flat spots go away within 1 to 3 miles depending on the temp.

thebigdaddyof2

19. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I may just get the TSLR's for the simple fact that they are a bit cheaper and man you just cant get another tires that LOOKS THAT F_ING BAD!!!!!!
    So I have to re-gear it. PLUUUUUUU. Gears smears.
    (now I have to learn to setup gears for a 14 ff)
    ITs all good. I just wont use over drive till I get up to 90 on the interstate. LMFAO!!!!!!

I pay ya to work it not jerk it![​IMG]

20. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

I've got 36" TSL radials on mine, and they have been working fine for me. They are supposed to last longer than the Bias plies and they seem like "very tall" 36 inchers. They dwarfed the 33s I used to have. I can't compare them to any other Swampers, though because this is the first set I have.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chriswhitley.com>www.chriswhitley.com</a>