Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire Poll

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K10ANDYKHAMNIC, Aug 20, 2005.

?

MT/Rs OR PRO COMP MUDS ?

1. MT/R

79.6%
  2. PRO COMP

20.4%
  1. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

I need new tires for my DD . 2001 TOYOTA TACOMA that sometimes sees desert wheeling . so my poll is goodyear mt/s or pro comp muds ? Are the mt/rs worth the little bit more $$ ? thanks guys -A

Last edited: Aug 22, 2005
  2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

i had a set of 33 x-terrains on my toyota a few years back and i loved them. pretty good tires for a daily driver. not too loud, and decent traction in the rough stuff.

ryan

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I have some 37" mt/r's on my k5 and love them. I DD it for about two years and the tires held up pretty well. They do absolutely awesome in the rocks and do pretty well in the mud too. Go for the mt/r's.
    -Harrison

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I voted for MTRs cause that is what I have in the garage :D I have also heard that pro-comps wear like azz.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

One of my best friends is the asst. manager at our local Firestone store, so I get a pretty good disscount on the tires they sell. Not truck related, but I recent bought some Bridgestone G009 tires for the car. Great car tire.

6. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

voted mtr but if you do desert wheeling a tread such as bgf at would be better suited for sand. and maybe cheaper. :dunno: i do not recall what mtrs are going for

7. bluehen

bluehen 1/2 ton status

I run BFG M/T and love 'em. If you're set on either GoodYear or PC then I would say GoodYear.

8. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I like my MT/r's. Pro Comps are a shoddy version of the BFG MT, in my opinion.

John

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I voted MT/R for a couple reasons.

1. The Pro Comps wear out fast on full size rigs. The only time they are remotely worth it IMO is when you can do the buy 3 get 1 free deal.

2. Pro Comp is owned by 4 Wheel Parts. I hate giving them any money for any reason due to some really bad past experiences. I'll take a swift kick in the nutz before I buy anything from them again.

10. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

I don't care what anyone says, I loved having my 33" Pro Comp muds on my '94 Sierra 2wd DD.... When I had the suspension done, I had some 33/12.5x15 Pro Comp mud terrains that I got from 4WPW. I went with those tires because of the rubber compound that they use, they're very quiet on the highway, and stil have an aggressive bite to them while (mildly) off roading (this was my DD). I just replaced them last week after putting nearly 60,000 miles on them - I AM NOT LYING. They had about 5-10% tread left on them, but it was time for new ones. Rotate and balance them every 3,000 miles (every oil change), and you'll get great wear and longevity out of them on the street. I have a buddy with MTR's on the Jeep, and he hates them, both on and off road (wet roads and muddy trails down here....no good).

If you take care of your set of Pro Comps, they will last you, and you'll get your monies worth - trust me!!

11. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

friend had pro-comp muds, he hated them. if not the mt/r's id go with bfg mt's.