Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire Pressure in Rocks

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by Hossbaby50, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am wondering what you rock crawlers are running for PSI in the rocks. I have been at 20psi on the last few runs but think I might go lower.

Keep in mind no beadlocks. 15x8's with 35x12.5x15's.

I am thinking about lowering to 15psi. How low of PSI can I go and be safe? How low can you go without sacrificing to much axle clearence.

Does more bulge in the sidewall = better?

Harley

2. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Harley,

Don't go any lower than about 17 PSI, I run mine around 20 most of the time, except when it's raining, then I run them around 16PSI, makes a big diffrence. Too low on the MTR=sidewall cuts. Trust me I have learned the hard way.

The MTR are like all tires, one they are broken in some, they don't require lowing the air pressure as much.

Rob

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

sweet, I was playing around with pressure here at the house where I have air and I went to 15 on one tire and it looked to low. 18 looked good to me. So 17 is the number then. Thanks Rob

Harley

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I have run mine at 15 psi on all of the trail runs in the last year or so. It works for me. I only run 25 psi on the street so 20 seems a waste to me. It might be a taller sidewall thing. I know a couple of guys running the 17" version of 37" MTR's and they say higher pressures are needed. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I know the 14FF drags a lot at 20, I can only imagine 10 /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. FWP

FWP CRS

[ QUOTE ]
    Too low on the MTR=sidewall cuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

You got that right /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I'm glad those days are pretty much over...

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I ran my TSL's at 9 psi in Moab... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Rene

7. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

i run about 15 with my 38" TSl's. i don't get much sidewall flex out of these things and i have run lower, but anything under 10 and i lose the bead(16.5 rims). Normally anything lower than 15 is for sand though.

8. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

I acidently ran one of my bfg MT's at 11psi on terminator and it did alright. I saw a jeep run bfg at's at 10 once, and everytime the tire flexed, it leaked air. He had only about 5 psi when the trail was over. I don't know what to conclude about this, just posting up information.

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Not much use, but I run my 42" TSLs with no bead locks as low as 4.5 - 5 psi and no complaints. With a cut down truggy, and the heavy carcass of the bias TSLs, I have to got that low to get them to flex and bite. Of course, then they start to squirm a bit, and I've seen the tire fold completely under the rim so that it looked like the rim was on the rocks (nose down, practically on the nose, trying to make a sharp turn).