Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire Question: 32s on stock suspension?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BJarvis354, Jun 19, 2002.

1. BJarvis354

BJarvis354 Registered Member

Hello CK5ers,

I bought my first K5 (an '89) a couple of days ago after years of owning pavement cars. The only really terrible thing about it is the tires...They are 31x10.50x15 Bridgestone dueler H/Ts, which I had hoped would last awhile until I could afford what I want to replace them, alas they are REALLY bad on the wear front.

My question is this: Can I run 32x11.50x15s on it without lifting it? I saw the tire fitment guide and it says "minor fender trimming" how much are we talking about here? I ran 32s on my old Jeep CJ-7 on a stock lift and had a minor rub problem, but I could have fixed that with new wheels I think, but I just adjusted my driving style.

And before anyone suggests lifting it, I am in NYC and my buddy lifted his for 33s and regretted it. Ride was really bad, too many potholes and you can't get into many garages... :(

Anyone have any suggestions on the tire itself? Costco has the Bridgestone Dueler A/T and BFG A/Ts, I want BFGs but they are about a hundred dollars more...

Thanks for the help in advance...
    Brady

2. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

32's will fit with no problem whatsoever. In fact, you could probably even squeeze 33's under there with little or no mods (might have to hammer the fender trim a little at the corner of the wheelwells), assuming you don't wheel the truck too hard. FYI, people usually run into rubbing hassles when they switch from 8" to 10" wide rims, so stick with the 8" rims with stock suspension & larger tires.

3. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

I run 32's on mine with no problem...

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. blazerboy72

blazerboy72 1/2 ton status

my dad has had 3 or 4 sets of 32's on his and it has never rubbed <font color="blue"> </font color>

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Depends on the brand. I was able to run 32's on our stock 79 with just a little hammer time on the bottom lip of the fenders. Not even noticable where I tapped it back.
    I have a set of 32 inc BFG MT's for sale. 3 have 50%+ tread and one has 40%. They are on Chevy rally's. I would sell the tires for $100 for all four. $200 if you want the rims. If I sell the tires loose understand your probably looking at $50 for mounting and ballancing. Basicly it would be worth it just to get them on the rims. They may need ballancing. Really trying to avoid shipping these. I live in the Atlanta area.

6. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

the dueler's are not good off road i think those are the ones my dad jus bought and couldn't believe it, they're pathetic, if you got the money bfg all the way, im poor otherwise i would have some mt's /forums/images/icons/smile.gif good luck

Brett

7. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    I had 12.50/33's on my K/5 when I first bought it(no lift).My neighbor has 11.50/32's BFG M/T's on his stock sagging springs.

8. beefybluk5

beefybluk5 Registered Member

I put 33X11.5 on mine. Just make sure you have newer shocks and no running boards on there and it does just fine. But lifting it is just so much fun anyways. Screw the 32's. just put a 3 inch body lift on it and get yourself some 35x12.5 tires. then itll be a real truck.
    just my 2 /forums/images/icons/cool.gif cents

9. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i wouldnt personnally get bfg's anymore.my at's only lasted about 15 to 20 thou miles.so about a year and a half altogether.i have the wallmart brand super pro that im pretty sure is made by kelly tire and have had them for about 2 years with same milage and they still have half of the tred left.just telling you my personal thought of the bfg's and my experience.the tires were only 485 dollars mounted ballenced and lifetime warrantee.just something to think about.mine are 35s and i think the 33's would have been 460 alltogether.