Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire Recommendations

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Supergas, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Supergas

Supergas 1/2 ton status

:k5: :confused: I am going to buy some new tires & wheel for my K5, so thought I would solicit some recommendations...
    Most of my off road driving is going to be sand or dirt/mud with very little in the way of rock crawling. (don't have many rocks on the Texas coast)...So I have been looking at the Bridstone Dueler AT, BFG AT etc.. or should I be looking at the MT tires ??
    I also do a lot of pavement driving.... so don't want a terrible ride. The size will be a 33-12.5 X 15 on 10" rims...

Thanks,

Supergas

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You need very agressive all terrains , or mud tires with sipes if you want all around use . I was in mud , water , and rocks on Sunday with Sport Kings and did well for traction . There were also other tires that did well like the Goodyear Mtr's . Have you checked out what guys in your area are running on their rigs ? That would be a great start since they are wheelin' what you plan to :k5: :k5:

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Goodyear MT/R's (like mine), BFG MT/KM's, or in an AT, the Goodyears look pretty good. I've ran nothing but mt's on my truck since I've bought it. It had some crappy worn AT's on when I bought it and it rode like a dump truck (stock susension). I swapped some 31" Pep Boys MT's, and the ride was better than the wore out AT's. I would suggest MT's if you ever plan on even seeing mud.

John

4. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

when i bought my truck it had 35" bfg allterrains, they wernt the best tire but the rode great on the street and did ok in the woods. come to think of it, i dont think i ever got stuck with them, aird them down to like 8 psi to

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

AT's are going to suck a big one in the mud. They work ok in the sand and dirt but are horrible in the mud. Honestly I would recommend BFG MT's. They wear well, are pretty nice on the road, and will preform ok in the environments you listed. They are about the best comprimes between the terrain you listed.

I really like my Goodyear MTR's, but they won't last as long under street driving as the BFG's will. The MTR is not a great mud tire either. They are in about the same league as the BFG MT in the mud, maybe a little worse. They perform really well in the rocks but you said that doesn't matter to you.

My vote BFG MT.

Harley

6. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I agree, AT's suck the big one in Mud. I had a set of General M/T's that I liked. Wore like iron and were cheaper than the BFG M/T

7. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

Procomp makes a good M/T also :laugh:

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would go with the BFG All Terrains and try to avoid the mud completely. All terrains are great tires for the road, lots of grip, and do ok on rocks when aired down quite a bit (lots of sipes/biting edges). They suck in mud, but I doubt you're going to be attacking any deep mud pits with a truck with 33" tires anyway--so get the All Terrains. They're quieter, they last longer than the Mud Terrains, provide a smoother ride, etc.

Despite being 4wd, and the rear anti-spin, I ordered my new tow rig with ALL SEASON tires. A nice, smooth, quiet ride is starting to take on a new meaning to me in a DD/tow rig.

9. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

My vote would be BFG ATs unless you are going to be in a lot of mud, then go with the MTs, also if you are going to see a lot of mud I'd step it up to 35's

10. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

My cousin runs the dueler AT on his tahoe, in a word they suck, I would avoid them like the plauge after seeing them perform in mud and sand. I am from south Texas. I tire I would recomend is The Super Swamper SSR radial. I saw them perform well in mud, snow that we had over christmas, sand and the do surprisingly well on the street.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm a big fan of the Denman Ground Hawg. The Ground Hawg 2's are a radial tire. I've yet too find a tire with a aggressive tread that will out last the Ground Hawg. I do just as much if not more on pavement driving, so tire life is a big factor for me. So far, I've owned 4 sets of Hawg's. 3 got used, the last never got mounted befor I sold the truck.