Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire/Rim Width

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79Stomper, Aug 9, 2004.

1. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a set of 15x12 rims for my 3/4 ton conversion. I was wondering if I could fit a 12.5" wide tire on the 12" wide rim. Most places I see the manufacturer recommends putting them on a 10" wide rim but I have the 12" rims available and like the style.

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

It can be done but the tires may be hard to seat on the rims. Also, the end result will have ballooned sidewalls so the combo may look a little odd. I have 12" wide rims on 35" BFG's on my crew cab. They're ok for now but next time I may step up to a 14.50", wide 36" tire so it will look more "natural".

Something I noticed when doing mine, the tread shape will effect the overall look a lot. For instance, the BFG All Terrain has a very square cut shoulder on the tread making the "balloon effect" much more noticeable and looked awkward. I found that the BFG Mud Terrain K/M has some cleating that wraps over the shoulder onto the sidewall a little. The wrap around of the tread helped to make the combo more eye friendly.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Go for it, it'll look good.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The only problem that you might have is that you will probably loose beads easier. If it is a DD that doesn't see trail then it will probably be ok but if you see trail and lower your PSI for traction be careful with those beads.

Harley

5. 79Stomper

That is what I was thinking too. I drive it once a week to work to keep everything fresh but other than that it sees the trails mainly. I think I will continue on my Journey for a set of 38's or larger tire. Really want to go bigger anyways. The 35's just look so tiny with all of that lift.

Thanks for your comments/suggestions /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Go for it I really like how a 12"wide wheel looks on a 12.50 It seem to work good and your sidewallys will look straight(I like) EXCEPT for on a BFG all terrian, It the one tire that looks odd on a 12 wide

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    The 35's just look so tiny with all of that lift.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif You only have 6" of lift( from your profile). I ran 33's with 6" and it looked great.

8. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

You could run that combo, but it may look a little odd. I ran an 11.5 wide tire on a 10" rim and it looked ok, but lost beads. If i were you id step the tire width up an inch so you at least get some sidewall bulge, if its even an option at this point.

9. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

I see yer looking for 38's....if you dont mind ground hawgs I found some on Tyres1 for 155 ea! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I bought some, and figured I'd let people in on the sale too! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 79Stomper

Well from the profile I have a 6" Suspension lift a 1" body and zero rates so a total of 8" lift. If you check out the pics in my profile you can also see I have been /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif to some fenders to make the body armor do its job.

Thanks for the link on the tires. I was going to order a set of 40's from Nebraska tire but called them and they had sold them all /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif.

11. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

How well do the ground hawgs wear on the street?? I am looking to get some 38's and that is smokin price verses the ssr's I was looking at.

12. 79Stomper

Another member on here sapper is running a set of 40" ground hawgs and they have been on the road for a few years now and still have a good bit to go to the wear bars on them, thus being the reason I am looking for a set, plus my truck doesn't really see that much of the pavement anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif