Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire rotation problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Sep 1, 2000.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I got my tires balanced and rotated the other day and now the Blazer feels like it is kind of squrilly, but no vibration, I checked the lug nuts and air pressure and they are OK. Anyone have a problem like this before, maybe it is just due to the wear on the tires, don't know, the tires are 36x12.5 Super Swamper radials.

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

2. Steve,
    I have 38x15.5x16.5 Radials too and I just rotated with no problems. I would say that the tire was worn uneven and its causing your "squrilly" driving conditions.

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

3. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Steve
    What rotation pattern did you use? Front to back on same side? or did you include spare in rotation?

Brian
    89KBlazer

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Discount Tire did the 5 tire rotation, not sure how they did it.

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

5. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Just befor the Y2K5 run I put on new BFG 35X12.50s and new wheels. I did not balace them at all! Why go though it when the first cut off chunk will take them out of ballance. Now I dont know if I got lucky or what ! they run fine and are very nice driving and riding, There is about 5k on them now and there still wareing fine! And yes I have rotated them due to a flat on the left rear one night.

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

6. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Steve, I know Weber Tire in Colorado Springs used to balance large tires on a machine that actually cuts rubber off the sides of the tire, On the inside to balance them. A friend had a blaze with 38's and he would have it done every 6 months or so.

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I mounted my 35x15.50x15 Super Swamper TSL's in my garage and I never had them rotated. Knock on wood, I dont get any vibes either...
    Stupid me though, where I bought my Swampers they include the balance and mounting in the price. Would have saved a lot of sweat and tears! :)

Although i did get a great deal on cosmetic blems, $125 ea..

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

8. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Reason I asked about the rotation is that I plan to run the TSL Radials like you and according to Interco's site, the "Proper" way to rotate the tires is front to back ONLY on the same side. That kinda sucks if you plan to use your spare tire in the rotation. Just curious how you did it and if a "wrong" (for lack of a better word) rotation pattern might cause the problem.

Keep us posted please
    Brian
    89KBlazer

9. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

Steve,
    This definately sounds like some uneven wear to me. I haven't had this problem with my blazer, but I've had something similar with my vette. Seems the car is real sensitive to wear problems, and I rotate them only front to back due to the fact they are directional tires. But if one side wears more than the other, it tends to get kind of squirrelly.

Eric78K5
    K5-Because Size Matters!

10. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Steve, Do you notice any kind of uneven wear on them? I thought your whole steering assembly was new so there shouldnt be any chance for uneven wear. I am seriously looking into getting a set of SSRs but I wont if they wear fast or uneven.
    BTW, Ive always been told that you have to keep radial tires on the same side and just swap them front to back. They need to run the same direction all the time, so you cant reverse them. Maybe you should call the shop and see if they switched them side for side not realizing that they are radials or something.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

11. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

If your spare wasn't worn close to the rest of the tires then that may be what's causing it to be squirlly. I put a new tire on with 3 that were worn about 30% and it was really bad, it drifted a lot and felt very unstable at highway speeds. That might be your problem unless your better at rotating your tires on time than I am.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

12. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

I worked in a Goodyear tire store years ago. We did a lot of tire rotations, and occasionally customers would return with handling complaints similar to yours. It was almost always after a 5 tire rotation...rarely after a 4 tire rotation. If we couldn't find a mechanical problem, we would then reverse the rotation back to the original locations and test drive the car to see if the problem was solved. If the poor handling problem disappeared, we would then do a 4 tire rotation (same side, front to rear, rear to front), and then another test drive. This solved the problem 99% of the time. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's

13. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Assuming tire #5 has been the "spare" all its life....it will have more tread depth on it than all the others...if it ended up in front next to a worn tire with more than lets say a 4/32nd diff from side to side this could explain the squirel problem...steers are critical more so than rears...so put the spare back where it belongs...and if it has to go on take the time to move tires around if you get a flat and keep her to the rear!

AZBlazer

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban