Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tire safety?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PsychoticDeadGuy, Nov 11, 2005.

1. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

well, yesterday, i was driving home and my passenger front tire blew a bead at 20psi?!?! but i pulled over a put a spare on it. the tire is a BFG M/T and i still want to drive on it. so i got home and poped the tire back on and filled it to 35psi but the inside sidewall is showing white rubber, is this bad or no? how thick is the sidewall and when would i have to worry about it?

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't trust it. If the sidewall is driven on, even for a short distance, I permanently is damaged. Mabey a decent trail spair IMO.

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Here's what you do: Take your pocket knife, and jab it in the sidewall, making a cut about 3-6 inches long. That tire is hashed, and I wouldn't even suggest it as a trail spare because it's just so tempting to use elsewhere.

But you say you were driving home and it just blew off with 20 psi in it? Turning? If you were driving straight, I believe either the tire or the rim is defective.

4. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I had a tire on the rear of my S10 once that got to about that pressure and blew off when I ran over a speed bump in a parking lot at 5mph! It can happen.

5. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

is it a 16.5 rim? The beads on a 16.5 are the worst. my opinon...

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The white is from the raised white letters , the black on that side covers the white , you rubbed the black off , which is a very thin skin anyway .

I lost a tire on the freeway ( valve stem ) , drove almost a 1/2 mile to a lighted area on the tire ( made by bfg ) . Tire seemed a little flat , like it wouldn't pop back to round .

Well , I swapped stems ( actually a local wheeler runs the mom n pop tire store a mile from me did it , after inspecting it ) , aired it up , and its been DD , wheeled , roadtripped to Moab and back , I love my tires :D

Last edited: Nov 12, 2005
  7. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

id break the bead and check the inside of the tire. if there are ANY tire shavings its junk. also feel about the middle of the sidewall for any part that seems weaker or thinner. if any of this is true, its trash.