Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire shape

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Steve88, Mar 10, 2000.

1. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

I've been seeing some rigs around town that have a sort of flatter and more squared off sidewall and tread. I like the look of them compared to the typical BFG rounder side-wall. What type of tires might these be? OR is it a matter of the size of the tire and the size of the wheel? The pic below kind of explains it where the bottom shot is my ill attempt at what the typical sidewall "bulge" is on BFG's and similar tires, whereas the top pic is what I've seen on a few trucks around town. Almost looks like a "military" tire (?) But also looks like they are huge and certainly stuffed into those fenders. Must be 35-39" height from what I can judge...just can't find one in a parking lot to check myself... Any ideas on what type of tires or brand these are?

[​IMG]

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado (a.k.a. ThunderDog)

2. 79Cheyenne

79Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

I had a set of ground hawgs that looked like they were squared off at the edges like that

<font color=orange>1979 BLAZER Cheyenne[​IMG]

3. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Well, I've checked all my 4x4 mags for the ads and even all the online shops for tires and have yet to see something offered like these. I don't think they are meant for off-roading though, because from what I've seen so far there sure don't look like they have much in the way of side lugs or rock-crawling capabilities. They almost look like a small version of those big really square looking tires you see on some bigger firetrucks, and military special vehicles.

88K5 Silverado (a.k.a. ThunderDog)

4. Grey Thunder

Grey Thunder Registered Member

Home: Ojai, Ca......School:Santa Cruz, Ca
    a buddy of mine has tires like that that are mickey thompsons and they are like 18-19 inches wide.... i think it may have to do with the width of the tire....

grey thunder

5. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

hey guys, it's not the width or size. it's the style of tire. all tires are going to bulge a little and it depends on the width of rim. for example, if you put a tire like a super swamper bogger that's 18x44x15, on a 15x12 rim....it will bulge because the rim is not wide enough for the tire width. super swamper has the square look and so does the ground hawgs. if i'm wrong then someone please correct me. thanks

alex

"What me get stuck? NEVER!!"(Famous last words)

6. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

The newest style of BFG all-terrrain tires have more sidewall lugs that also stick out farther. This gives the appearance of a more square tire. It also helps protect the sidewall from rocks, curbs, and your larger roadkill.

7. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

i agree with the blazer kid.....when i've run 12.50 wide tires on stock rims the side wall is round....when i've run those same tires on 10" wide rims they are squarer. if you want squarer looking tires find some wider rims than you are currently running.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

8. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

The BFG all-terrain radial has a square shape see pic below.
    [​IMG]

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>

9. I can't believe you put a picture of a jeep in here...
    ha ha

anyway I agree with the rim width making the difference in sidwall bulge, causing the tire to look round or square...

Jay Richey, K5s kick A@#!!!

10. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Yup. I've taken a real close look at those tires that look perfectly square on the sidewalls, with NO bulge and it IS a matter of rim width. I'm not sure how wide the rims were but I did see a 33x12.5x15 BFG A/T on a rim that was as wide as the width of the tire (12.5 perhaps) and it looked perfectly square. I mean you could held a ruler on the rim and hit the lugs in the tread, or pretty close to it.

88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com