Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tire sidewalls and footprint

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevy1982, Dec 4, 2002.

1. chevy1982

chevy1982 Registered Member

Please correct me if i am wrong but i was thinking that if you have a stiffer sidewall then the less footprint you will have when your tires are aired down. If anyone has any thoughts on this please post.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'm going to say no. Sidewall stiffness shouldn't matter. Here's my reasoning. Say you have a 10.5 inch tread width contacting the ground. This contact - for sake of argument is 5" long. When you air down, you aren't increasing that width measurement (because you're not driving with the sidewalls on the ground) you're increasing the length measurement to say 12" or longer. This gives the more surface area which is beneficial off-road. So even if you have stiff sidewalls, you're still going to increase the length of the contact patch, and the width will be the same as when aired up.

I'd also like to clear up a mis-conception about airing down too. I've heard many times where people comment about how the gearing affects change and such when you air down. They say...well, I'm decreasing my tire radius, so it's like running a smaller tire. NO, it's not. Your vehicle doesn't care how tall your tire is...what matters is the circumference (length around tire tread). This measurement doesn't change.

Hope all this makes sense.

3. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I've heard many times where people comment about how the gearing affects change and such when you air down. They say...well, I'm decreasing my tire radius, so it's like running a smaller tire. NO, it's not. Your vehicle doesn't care how tall your tire is...what matters is the circumference (length around tire tread).

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhg, I don't want to hear about this again. There was a huge thread about this a while back. I'll just say that this isn't entirely true because of the way the tire will wrinkle with really low pressure. It is proven the distance traveled at lower pressure is less, BUT I agree with you in that I wouldn't take it into consideration.

4. chevy1982

chevy1982 Registered Member

Thanks heavy4x4 that info made it clear and thanks for responding.

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    There was a huge thread about this a while back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really???!!! I didn't know that...I am usually up to date on these things. Oh well.