Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire size (again)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mint90, Jul 9, 2000.

1. Mint90

Mint90 Registered Member

I read, look, read, look. Somebody's full of it. I have a '90 K5, all stock. It came with 31s. Some say only 32s will fit, some say 33s will fit....which is it ???? The specific tire I'm considering is BFG MTs...either 32x11.5 or 33x12.5 the 31s seem to have LOTS of room, but I read conflicting accounts as to which will fit without sheet metal modifications ... either by man or by tire. Stock aluminum rims will remain. Help is much appreciated.

Mint '90 K5, All Stock, All Options, 49K

2. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Personally 31's are the largest i can get in mine...somebody says my 82jimmy is on drugs, but it rubs. A friend of mine has some 33's with a 2in body lift and fender trimming and they rub all the time...its only a 1in difference so i wouldn't really worry about it...

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Cameron</font color=red> <font color=green>Burnett</font color=green>

3. CruisinK5

CruisinK5 1/2 ton status

I have 32"s on my '80 Blazer and they rub when I turn onto a steep incline. So I would go with 31"s but you could get away with 32"s. I would say 33"s are out of the question unless you are going to lift it a little.

"Have you driven over a ford lately?"

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

My K5 had 32" tires on it for years and I don't see any signs of rubbing.

5. hpfire7227

hpfire7227 Registered Member

I have a stock 89 with 32X11.50X15 BFG All-Terrains and stock aluminum rims, and beleive me, there's definately room for 33's. Actually, the only thing that kept me from getting 33's is that I have 2.73 gears. I guess it depends on the rig and the tire make itself. But if yours is a 90 and you're looking at BFG's, go with the 33's and I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck.

10 BOLTS O' FUN

6. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Ok,I have 33x12.50 BFG ATs on my '84. I have 2 inches of lift and no trimming. It does fine for normal driving and mild trails. But when I get a little more agressive on a trail, and I make my suspension flex alot, the tires rub.

You have to remember though that each rig is going to vary a little as far as suspension travel is concerned. This will depend on several things: age, wear, type of lift, manufacturer of lift, individual driving styles, and the driving history of the rig its self.

7. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

2.73 gears ?

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

The reason why people have differing accounts of what hits and what fits could be:

1) All tires are different acutal heights (yes they differ greatly from the stamped size)
    2) Rim width makes a big difference in what works...an 8" rim tucks the tire under the fender alot better than a 10" rim
    3) Depends on what kind of wheeling you do, if it doesn't hit on the street but does when you get really twisted up in the rocks...and some folks don't even take their trucks off road (we pray for them every chance we get)
    4) What shape your suspension is it, if it sags, if your air shocks boost the truck, whatever
    5) If you're willing to modify sheetmetal to get your tire in there.

And there's probably a lot more but I'll bet nobody's full of it, there's just too many variables to work with here.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

nice looking truck btw!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

10. Udy

Udy Registered Member

I bought my '91 K5 with 33x12.5x15 BFG ATs mounted on the stock 7 inch wide aluminum wheels from the original owner (216K miles-reciepts for at least 4 sets of 'em since new). He replaced the stock 31 inch Lerados ASAP. the only rubbing was on the driver side due to width. The tire would rubb slightly on the steering arm socket at full turn (no problems though!). Check out "Brian Udovich's '91" in the picture section for a glimps the combination (no lift and 33s before I added 35s and a six inch lift.

11. hpfire7227

hpfire7227 Registered Member

Yes, 2.73 gears. (sob sob)

10 BOLTS O' FUN

12. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

If your still gonna run your factory wheels (15x7) then I wouldn't go for the 33x12.50, whether they rub or not. Those tires would be so bowed in the middle you'd wear them down in a heartbeat. I ran 33x12.50 on a 8" rim one time and that was bad enough, on a 7" would be asking for trouble.

89 K5 Silverado

13. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

laketex hit everything. There is no definate answer with out physically putting the tire on your blazer. Everybody's rig is different. Probably the newest blazer on this forum is what...9 1/2 years old!! Assuming you didn't put brand new oem springs on it...it's gonna sag a little, and how much sag depends on what your blazer was used for in the past...towing, no towing, having heavy weights for owners, having heavy weight owners w/a couple of heavy weights for kids...it all depends. I'd suggest figuring out what brand & kind of tire you want...so the only left to figure out is the size...narrow it down to two sizes. Most decent tire shops will mount a tire for you on your truck if your not sure if it's gonna fit....mine did. The shop guys didn't think a 35" would fit, but they said they'd mount it for me to find out for sure....it fit. good luck.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

14. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Just to add to it about all rigs are diff., i have 33" 12.50 on 10x15 rims and 4" suspension w/3"body and I can get the tires to hit when twistin it up on the trail!
    Of coarse now the corners of my rear frontfenderwell are pushed in from the tires rubbing and me finnishing the job with a 4lb sledgehamer.[​IMG]

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

15. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Hey Burt, funny you mentioned that b/c my 10x15 35" tires rubbed my fenders too, when I was wheelin and got all twisted up. I got 4" susp and 3" body too. Wierd.
    But yeah, like the others said, depends on your rig. But just by looking at your pic, I would 32" max. And that is one sweet looking rig. Too clean I think, but very nice looking.
    Boss

16. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I am pretty sure 33s will fit w/o a lift but only use it like that on the street. The guy I bought mine from put 33s on in August of 98 and the reciept said to test fit the tires and they must have fit because they were on there for a while before the lift was put on-I think Dec 98. the rims are 15x10. BTW thats a pretty cool truck.

17. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

When I bought my 85 last month the guy threw in a set of 33's on 15X10 rims. The suspension is bone stock and the tires fit just fine. It rubs on full turns and it tore off my chorme trimming while doing some minor wheelin'. So its fine to run 33's on a stock suspension but just keep it on the street!! I'll be gettin lifted this weekend =P

BLAZE IT UP!!!

18. Mint90

Mint90 Registered Member

Thank You all for your help, as well as the compliments ! Both are much appreciated !

Mint '90 K5, All Stock, All Options, 49K

19. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

try this....see if you have a friend or neighbor,(the cute girl up the street for instance), ask to borrow the tires for a short trip around the block (any size you prefer) and see if they rub on your ride....its the only way to be sure. I personally have 33s with a 15 by 10 inch rim on mine, I did trim with the wiz wheel some. JS

20. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

I have a 90k5. What size is the stock rim?

[​IMG]Go prepared

I have a Shotgun a Rifle and a 4WD(K5) and Country Boy Can Survive!!!!