Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire size?...How much is too much?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TruckNutzDude, Sep 21, 2003.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

It's almost time for new tires again now that my 36x12.5 swampers are worn. What size or type of tire would you run on a mud/trail rig with 3/4 tons, 4.88's and a detroit? I'm looking for something at least 37" tall and wider is always better. I also should mention that I only have a 4" lift and will be doing plenty of fender removal to fit anything else. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

*edited* I'm mounting a 42" TSL tomorrow to see how it fits/hits...

2. patrickcampbell

patrickcampbell Registered Member

Re: Opinions needed

Im in the same boat as you right now. My 36x12.50's are shot and I am looking for a different tire to put on that will run well with 4.88's. In the case of the 37x12.50's they should run fine, the 1/2 inch difference shouldnt make a noticeable difference, I ran that size tire before the swampers. Do you do alot of driving in the snow? otherwise you could go with a larger 38x14.50 same profile as the 36x12.50 just larger. that is my next size tire

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

He He....Being from Mass. "Do you do a lot of driving in the snow" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

It is early....

4. TruckNutzDude

I don't run in the snow at all anymore. The K5 gets retired for winters now to reduce the rust factor and free it up for maintenance and mod's. I do a lot of deep mud and 36's are just not giving me enough clearance. They also dig too much since they're only 12.5's. Has anyone had any luck with the 40x17 gumbo mudders on the road?

5. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

run what you want or can afford.my death wobble didn't start until 55 mph. i have 33 x 14 boggers on my DD and when i rotated the front to the back it almost went away. the tires that were on the front wore bad i thought it was engine weight and the fact that those tires turned,when i put them in back they still wear bad and the ones on the front don't look any different ?? move e'm around if they shake maybe it might help on your new rubber /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. TruckNutzDude

I just ordered a 42" TSL today, it should be at the local speed shop tomorrow. Hopefully it's not too much tire for my 3/4 ton front /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I wonder how well it's gonna fit with only a 4" lift /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

42s with a half ton front axle? good lord! hope you dont do any rocks or any other wheelin! mall cruiser?

j

8. TruckNutzDude

I can't take the beast to the mall... that's a lot of gas money! But I do have an open front diff. and only wheel in mud and on some light trails. 1-ton is on the way, but I'm just wheelin what I got.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Well you better put 2x4 under your gas pedal. 42s will do a number on your front end, even if it's open.

I managed to break mine with 38s the 2nd time I had it in the mud.

Only a 4" lift? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Good luck with that one. Are your fenders cut now?

You might as well remove your front fenders completely, move your front axle forward, and start hacking with a sawzall now.

10. TruckNutzDude

Yes my fenders are cut now... quite a bit. I'm planning on a D60 front end very soon, but my tires are worn out now and I didn't see any point in replacing them with puny 35's or 36's like I've had in the past. I'm thinking about a 2" body lift or maybe just some 6" springs... not sure which but I don't want to have to buy new drive shafts yet. I should be able to fit a 42" with a 4" suspension and 2" body lift with lots of trimming /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I'm about to find out tomorrow when that tire gets to the shop. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    Well you better put 2x4 under your gas pedal. 42s will do a number on your front end, even if it's open.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have a lead foot so there's really no need for a 2x4 under the pedal /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif My main concern is how/if they will fit with major fender cutting. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Re: Tire size?...Opinions needed

I vote for Mt/r's...I've got a set of 35's with 4.10 gears and no overdrive, std tranny, and love it on and off road. Maybe the 37's would be good for you! Why wear out a set of swamps for light trails? I took my mt/r's for a good muddy run 2 weekends ago and they cleaned as good as any set of tsl's there.

13. TruckNutzDude

MTR's and BFG's don't work well in the clay mud I wheel in. It's too thick and requires a lot of wheel speed to clean out. Even my TSL's get packed up in the slop out here.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'll second that. You wouldn't want to go where I go with MT/Rs.

15. TruckNutzDude

So is there anyone out there running big tires and a 4" lift? Or am I crazy for thinking it /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm going to run 37s and 4" of lift real soon. not doing it now however. I know one of the PA boys is doing it. Can't remember who off the top of my head. I will probably add Zero Rates to the mix just to reduce fender trimming just a little.

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    So is there anyone out there running big tires and a 4" lift? Or am I crazy for thinking it /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not with fenders installed.

18. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

My old burb had 38.5x14.50/15s with a 4" lift on 1/2 tons. I cut alot to make them fit. I ran 4.56 gears with a 700r4 and a 208. I know according to everyone here, that is a bad combo, but never broke anything, but some spot welds on the fenders /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I had alloy axles in the rear 12 bolt, lockrites front and rear, and a gm certa 700r4. Oh yea, I use to like to fly through the desert at 65 mph, and catch 5+ feet of air every weekend. The burb, was too big for rockcrawling, although I tried.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There is a big difference between 38.5s and 42s.

20. TruckNutzDude

The combo I'll have if I go with 42's goes like this. stock TBI 350/700R4/241, '79 3/4 ton's, 4.88 gears, detroit in rear, 4" Rough country springs in the front, blocks in rear (temporary) and lots of fender hacking. I have too much gearing with the 36's on the street and low range is just too low for me. 42's will give me the clearance I need, offset my gearing and give the truck a better appearance IMO. When the 350 blows it will turn into a 383, when the 700R4 blows it turns into a TCI and when the 10 bolt grenades it becomes a locked Dana 60 with 5.13's (5.13's for the 14 bolt also) That's my plan anyways. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif