Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tire size lift size

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ssls6, Feb 7, 2005.

1. ssls6

ssls6 Registered Member

I recently bought a K5 with a 4" skyjacker spring lift and 35" BFG AT radials. It took me a while to get the rear pinion angle set correctly and now it drives vibration free. At this stage, I'm working on the frontend (CV joint, ball joints, wheel bearings).

I'm not real sure that I like the 35" tires and 4" lift. In hind sight I would have been happy with 31" tires and a 2" lift. My question is this, will it look stupid to run 31" tires and a 4" lift? How about 33" tires and a 4" lift?

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

31's is one of the stock size tires. You can run up to 33's with only a little trimming. If you want to get rid of your lift i am sure sombody would be willing to trade their stock springs for lift springs

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It really depends on the tire and wheel combo. In my experience when you have a wide, aggressive tire and rim you can get away with a smaller diameter tire. For example, I think my K5 looks killer on 35x16 boggers/16.5x14 welds and about 10" of lift but I think it would look rediculous with a set of 35x12.50 A/T's. Reason being is that aggressive, wider tire seems to help fill the tire "area" better. Hard to describe. :o

any 33" tire will look great with your 4" lift, infact IMHO I think it will look a lot better. My personally preference is no less than 6" of lift with 35's.

31's MIGHT be a stretch but a good looking tire and wheel combo will probably complement the small lift fine.

I thought my old 6"/33x14.50" combo looked great.

[​IMG]
    Maybe this old pic of my K5 can help you kind of get an idea of what it would look like on 33's. I had 6" of lift at the time.

4. ssls6

ssls6 Registered Member

Your blazer looks great. Thanks for the post.

5. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I agree with rjguitar on this one. Almost everybody that has put a 4" lift on anything is running 33's and the same goes for a 6 inch and 35's but wider tires will make it look alot beefier. Those 33's would make my 35 12.50's look the same size almost because their 2 inches wider. damn i want 36x13.50s. Yo, when you guys trim what do you use? sawzall?

6. rjfguitar

Thanks, That was about 2 years ago. I have since gone 3/4 ton, lifted it a fe more inches, and different tires and wheels. :)

7. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i personally like the look of 35x12.50 tires on 4" lift. its all a matter of preference. i think most people who accually wheel their trucks want as big of a tire as they can fit with minimal lift(under 6") for COG purposes. if you've got big wide wheels it'll be that much harder fitting on the stanard jeep sized trail.

heres a pic of my truck w/ 3" lift(lots of gear in the back so its sagging to around 2"lift). 33x13.50 on 10" rims. i want to trim a little more and squeeze 35's under there.

Azusa2.JPG

Blazer Snow1.JPG

8. rjfguitar

I wheel mine all the time but also want it to look great when I hose off the mud... I have never had any tippy experiences. It depends on what type of wheeling one does but from what it sounds like I don't think the original poster plans on any extreme, off camber wheeling. :thinking:

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

not sure what you mean here... why don't you like them, specifically.

IMO, if you want to run 31s, drop it back to stock height. The steering parts will last longer and the rig will handle better. You could definitely find someone that wanted the 4" lift, had stock stuff and would do a trade plus ca$h.

just my opinion, if you don't want a lifted rig, keep it stock. Costs less, wears parts less and better handling and gas milage too.

j

10. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I'm running 33s on my 86 K5 with no real lift. There are 2" blocks in the back the PO installed to combat saggy rear. I do have a 4" lift I'm installing though. 31s on a lifted blazer look odd to me. But it's all personal opinion.

My trail rig will start with 35s on the 5" of lift it has now. But I know someone running 37s on 2" lift with some trimming.

11. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

dont you mainly just play in mud? thats where big lifts and wide tires shine. i wouldnt think you'd get a tippy experience going thru a mud pit.
    in the rocks or any mountain trails you want to be as low/narrow as possible with as much ground clearance as possible. not just for COG, but to get under obstacles like trees and such.and these are on easy trails, nothing i would call extreme
    but your right, i dont think he's planning on doing any wheeling if he'd rather have 31" tires.

12. rjfguitar

I run mostly mud and hillclimbs when I can find them.

13. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

yes

no

14. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you're looking to get rid of 4" rear springs I'll buy them.

15. hillbillyfx4

hillbillyfx4 Registered Member

I've got an '81 K10 with the stock springs that I'll trade you straight across for your lifted ones, if they'll fit. I'm over in McKinney. If you're interested, let me know.

email: angrychikn@aol.com

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Shut up, Bobby. Driving through a farm field is not four wheeling. You're going to get someone killed with the kinds of comments you make about big lifted trucks on the trail. They're downright scary.

17. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Heres me on 4 inches and 33's . I want to go 35's next and stop there for camping/driving/real wheeling on this truck . I like the 4 inch lift , it doesn't feel tippy much at all , you look at pics of yourself or videos sometimes and realize you can go that far anyway and its cool . Be happy with the 4 inch lift and 35's probably looks tuff :k5: :k5:

[​IMG][​IMG]

18. rjfguitar

Ah, your just a big chicken. :D You have no idea what I have done. Good day.