Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tire size question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by walt88, Nov 12, 2000.

1. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

I currently have a 4" list. I am adding a 2" bodylift soon. So with a total of 6" of lift, what the biggest tire i could put on with out rubbing or anything?

Keep the shiny side up, and the greasy side down.

2. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

Walt,

It depends on what you do with your K5. If you are rock crawlin then I'd say 33" unless you trim your fenders. If you are a mud fanatic and that's it then probably 36" and finally if you are an asphalt pounder then you might get 38's to fit as long as you never have any suspension travel.

David 75K5
    http://www.goldrush.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

3. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Gold rush is right. If you articulate the tires at all, you'll rub with just about anything over 33's. My brother has a 4" suspension, and 3" body lift, with 36's. He has bent the corner of his front fenders, and rubbed pretty good more than once. And he doesn't get too radical either. If you can afford it, and you want that BIG tire look, you can always run a big tire on the street, and a smaller one(on different rims of coarse)for wheelin. This is what I hope to do next year.[​IMG]Also if you run a narrower tire, you will "tuck into the fender" thus, less rub! Hope this helps![​IMG]

4. Chewy

Chewy 1/2 ton status

I agree. I have a 6 inch suspension lift and my 35's rub every once and a while and I take it pretty easy (compared to some of my friends). With six inches of lift 33's look really small.

[​IMG] '87 Beast
    Colorado, USA

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yup, me too! I have 4" and 3"body and runnin 33" Mudtires and on the twisty stuff can get a rub here and there.....

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

6. Hey, Burt, you have an awesome rig! Where can I get one of those spare tire/jerry can carriers? Is that a 2 piece custom made carrier? I have a '79 that I want one of those for but they all seem too pricey. Do you have any other pics to post of it? Thanks

7. edeslaur

edeslaur Registered Member

With the right offset, 33s will fit now.
    Chevs tend to rub at the front of the left fender & the rear of the right fender. And those front edges are sharp, so your tire will not appreciate you (ask me how I know).

I have 36s on my Blazer with a (total) of 3.5" lift and generous fender massaging (like took 3-4" off the back of the fender and cut 3" off the bottom of the front of the fender). They are REALLY 36" tall, unlike most 35s that are around 34" tall.

If you have a dropped bump stop, which almost all 4" lifts come with (mine keeps the factory stops), you may be able to do 35s if you use a stock wheel offset and width since the bumpstop will keep the tire from coming up too high. Most likely, you will need to trim the front of the fender though, and perhaps bang the back of the fender lip in a bit (you can do it so it looks good, even unaltered).

You WILL rub the inner sidewall of anything over a 33 on the rear axle when the tire compresses into the fenderwell (not a problem, just an FYI). Wheel spacers in back help this. My problem went away when I stepped up to 3/4T drivetrain since the rear axle is almost as wide as the front.

I recommend test fitting a tire/wheel combo somewhere with either a ramp or forklift. Most places will do it for around free-$15.00. Make sure they have a ramp or forklift, otherwise you may end up with tires you can't use.

Good luck!

Eric D
    88 K30 Blazer