Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire size, Rear end and Trans combo?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by swoo55, Oct 26, 2003.

1. swoo55

swoo55 Registered Member

Hi! I'm Swoo.
    I just found this page. I'm New.

I'm getting a Chevy '74 K5 Blazer. I'd like to run 33" tires in Snow, City, Highway, the desert and Mountains.
    I'm trying to put together a combination that matches my driving style and close to Original Chevy configurations. I'm starting with a 350 Motor

I'd like to learn more about the SM465 4 Spd Man Trans and the Differences, or whats better, the 3 SPD Man trans coded SM318, 326, 330 also the T-89A & T-150 or something else?

Anybody in the know who wants to let me know is welcomed.

Thanks
    Swoo

2. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Some fairly strong 4-speeds are NP 435's - T-18 & 19's - SM420's and the popular 465's . All have there good points but save yourself some serious heartache and stick with what was offered in your style truck - the 465 . The 465 in generally considered the strongest of the bunch and it is VERY common among GM K series trucks.
    Good luck and welcome ! Tom

3. swoo55

swoo55 Registered Member

Is the 3 Spd Trans better for a 203 full time transfer case or does it matter between a 3 Spd or 4 Spd?
    Thanks for having me
    Swoo

4. swoo55

swoo55 Registered Member

Yea...Thanks for the info! A Question...What does all this mean?

"1986 K-5 Blazer 292w/T.B.I.-CH465/NP205
    Dana 60 T/L - 14FF D/L - 5.13's"

Would you mind breaking it down for me.
    Thanks
    Swoo
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I have never seen a 3-speed mated up to a 203 - are you sure it is not a 4-speed that has a low (granny ) gear included in the gear count ? The 4-speed is actually a three speed WITH a creeper first gear - which means it has four forward gears.
    My signature reads what the truck is and the drivetrain
    292= size of engine - it is a in-line six cylinder
    T.B.I. is GM Throttle Body Injection
    CH465 = the common 4-speed that we are talking about
    205 = part time transfercase
    Dana 60 = front axle with a Trak-Lok front diff.
    14FF = the rear axle that is a full-floater and has a Detroit-Locker in it
    5.13 is the gear ratio that I am running.
    Tom

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

hey Swoo.. i live in Santa Barbara, about 1 1/2 hours north of LA.. so if you ever need anything let me know... i dont know too much yet.. but i might be able to help ya /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. swoo55

swoo55 Registered Member

Yea man...I'm wit cha!
    I'm looking at a 14?? it has a 8 lug hub on it and I want to go to 6 Lug.
    Do you think I'll have to change the whole Rear end or can I change out the axles to 6 lug?
    I'm buying the truck and I want to start working on the Drive train first so, that's why I'm calling.
    I drive in city, mountains, forest and snow and I want to run 33's What's a good gear RATIO and how do I learn the meaing of the numbers?
    Thanks out front!
    Swoo
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm looking at a 14?? it has a 8 lug hub on it and I want to go to 6 Lug.

[/ QUOTE ]

14 bolt means how many bolts hold the pan/cover on the rear of the axle... there are 10, 12, and 14 bolts... 14 being the strongest.... you can find a 14 bolt semi floater axle which is 6 lug like you want. or you can but adapters that make it go from 8 to 6 lug

[ QUOTE ]
    I drive in city, mountains, forest and snow and I want to run 33's What's a good gear RATIO and how do I learn the meaing of the numbers?

[/ QUOTE ]
    well here i cant help too much.. i see you have a 74 so you dont have over drive..... so no over drive and 33's... maybe 3.73's for a good mix or 4.10's for a little more grunt off the line but lower top speed

9. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

The number 4.10 or 4.56 or what is a ratio. It should be written like this 4.10:1 Which means that the driveshaft has to turn 4.10 times for the wheel to turn once. The higher the number, the more torque you'll have but the more RPMs you'll have while driving on the high way. I've heard 3.73's are good for 33" or 4.10's if you have an overdrive tranny. I have a 3 spd auto and i want to run 4.10's when I get my 35's.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

4.10 for 33s, 4.56 for 35s with OD. 3.73 for 33s and 4.10 for 35s without. 4.10 is not enough gear for 35s with O/D. Don't ask me how I know. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Welcome Swoo!

Nothing like starting off with a question that's sure to stir up some "controversy"!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Your question is somewhat like posting up saying "Hey guys, what does a pretty girl look like?...." You're going to get a lot of different ideas, depending on each person's perspective.

You are about to enter a world of absolute K5 fanaticism....the people here will bend over backwards to help you figure things out, and give you LOTS of ideas. They will help you spend all the money you have (and maybe MORE!)

The thing to understand is that your question has a lot of parts to it.....I would suggest trying to pick an area (like gearing, or axles) and spend a little time reading the archive posts.... if you ask for the opinion of 12,000+ people on this site all at once, it might overwhelm you a little.

There's a lot of info available all over this site, a lot of it is in these message forums, and some is in the Technical article sections... you can learn a lot if you want to spend the time.

Welcome to the Addiction!

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif