Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TIRE SIZE

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JERRY-DEE, Sep 14, 2001.

1. JERRY-DEE

JERRY-DEE Registered Member

I have an 89' Blazer 350 with 3.73 stock gears and 35" BF T/A's. My problem is this setup does not work well when towing my boat. I seriously bog when towing uphill and start to overheat depending on the steepness of the grade. I don't have alot of money to do a gear swap so I figure the cheapest way is to go with a smaller tire. Can anyone help. I'm thinking of going with 33" tires but I don't know if that will be enough. Please help

2. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

What size radiator are you running?

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated

3. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

I have an 84 w/3.73 and 33's the only diff. is I have a 400 with the 700R4. I have never ahd a problem with mine bogging down going up grades while towing. I have had the overheating thing happen but only twice and that was while I wsa playing a mud, of course the owner before I swapped in a 400 and forgot to swap out the single core radiator with the 6 and he didn't bother to put on a shoud either so that was the cause of the problem there with me. 33's should be fine and yu may give your radiator some lookign at too. Just my thoughts.

Thanks, (in advance)
    Hawglet
    hawglet@excite.com

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have the exact same year and gears on my K5. I run 33" in the fall/winter and 31" spring and summer. I tow a 18' fish/ski boat all over the west(tahoe, powell, lake mead, shasta) with no problems on either set of tires. However I never tow in overdrive with the 33" tires. It is just too much of a strain on the 700r4. And only use OD with the 31s on flat level road. ocasonally on a very hot day when climbimg steep long hills the temp will go a little over 210. I also run a large B&M trans cooler and a B&M engine oil cooler with the stock towing package radiator (3 tube I think)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze</a>
    <font color=blue>NEVADA: Where the pavement ends, and the West begins.</font color=blue>

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Get some really short tires for when you pull your trailer. I'd recommend 30s or so, not 33s.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

6. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

My buddy tows a 19 foot jet boat with his 89 Jimmy. It has 35s and 2.73 gears, 350 and 700r4. Yea 2.73s. We have no problems towing it through the hills to get to the lakes here in AZ. I would check the condition of the radiator, fan shoud, and make sure you have a AC Delco heavy duty radiator clutch fan.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Got a tranny cooler and an oil cooler? If not might consider putting those in first before changing tire size to see what difference they make...

9/11/01... "We will overcome"
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>