Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tire spoon

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Dec 28, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=375710&R=375710
    There is a drop center 18", a staight 30", and a curved 30". Whatever that means, which one would I be better off getting? Does this look any good at all? My parents are going to be in Macon tomorrow, and there is a Norther Tool there. I figure if this tool looks like it will do the job, then I will get them to pick one up. I would love to learn how to mount my 33x12.50x16.5" tires on my 16.5x6.75" wheels. It would save a bunch of $$ and I would get the ego boost of having done it myself. I have never seen it done, I hope I'm not getting in over my head. I'm not going to run a big risk of destroying my tires or wheels by doing it incorrectly, am I?
    thanks,
    James

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

You don't really need one of those fancy-pants tire spoons. I have mounted/dismounted many 16.5's with only a prybar. Set your wheel facing up and start one side of the tire, and you can usually push the rest of it on by hand or by kneeling hard on it (kind of like falling and dropping your knee on the sidewall). Then start the second bead. Be sure the bead of the tire is in the raised portion of the wheel, this will allow the tire to offset itself so it can slide over the rim. You should be able to get the second bead almost all the way on by hand, and use a prybar to finish it up. I doubt you have enough strength to damage the wheel or tire, so don't be afraid to use a little force if you need to. With a 6.75" wheel you should be able to air them up without using starting fluid.

3. 78Suburban

so I can mount and dismount with a prybar? would a tire spoon give me any advantage? I can probablly get them to pick up one of those 3 spoons I mentioned.
    thanks,
    James

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

could help i supose, it is just a pry bar with not sharp edges really.

16.5s nave no safety bead, and are notiriouse for falling off the bead at low psi, should be fairly easy to mount by hand

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I mounted my 37X12.5X15 MTRs on 15X8 steel wagon wheels with nothing more than WD40 on the tire bead and the factory tire iron from under the hood. It took me about 2 hours to do 5 of them. The first one took me about 45 min cause I was learning as I went. Also at least on 15s it helps to put the tire on from the backside of the rim. The drop well is deeper on the rear side so with the front of the wheel down it allows the bead to offset and is easier to get the second bead on. Does that make sense?:D

Also I did not think about it when I put them on but WD40 can have a negative effect on the rubber compounds of the tire so I would use a silicon spray the next time I do it. I am pretty sure silicon is a lot slicker than WD40:D .

As for seating the bead I used my little MV50 aircompressor that I got from Kragen for $25. It seated the beads and aired each one up to 30# in about 6 mins per tire. No starting fluid needed.

Ira

6. 78Suburban

I'm really tempted to just try to use the pry bar, but I have a horrible frear that I'm gonna screw up my tires somehow. I really don't know what I should do. I could probably still call them and tell them to pick me up one of those tire spoons, but I dont know which would be best to get.
    Has anyone ever screwed up a tire trying to mount it?
    thanks,
    James

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

If you do want to get a tire spoon it can't hurt. I am just a cheap bastard and did not want to spend the $10-$20 for something I essentially already had. I would get the 30" curved spoon as it will give you more leverage and should be easier on your back:D . A tire bead is a lot tougher than you think. I feel damaging the bead is more of a concern when unmounting tires rather than mounting.

Ira

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I wouldn't worry about damaging the bead, have you ever seen the tire changer machines in a tire shop operate? They are brutal... Just go out and try to mount one. I did all four of mine in about 20 minutes. If you need some type of lube on the beads, mix some dishwashing liquid with water and apply with a rag.

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

The tire spoons are helpful for semi truck tires, but not necessary for 16.5's

10. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I'm kinda partial to 145898. It's the most used tire tool around here for admittedly Heavy Truck (split rim) tires. Very useful and easy on the tires & rims.

11. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

try not to rip the beads if you can help it. air can get under the rubber and cause internal leaks.

and the tire machines are only as bad as the oporator that runs it. i have done 100k doller rides tires and never had a problem. only time you have a problem is when you ask it to do what it wasnt made to do.

and i do tires all day long.

12. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I just dismounted and remounted a set of thornturds with nothing more then a craftsman pry bar. I had to readneck brake the beads first by driving a truck up on them:D I used soap and water to lube the beads before remounting.

13. 78Suburban

Tell me more about this. How do you rip a bead? Is it easy to do? Is it a big risk if you don't know what you're doing?
    thanks,
    James

14. 78Suburban

ttt

sweetk30, how do you rip a bead?
    thanks,
    James

15. skidpan

skidpan 1/2 ton status

no its pritty damn hard to rip a bead. i think they have a steel ring inside of them.. i was hell on mounting and dismounting tires last summer, and never even made a bead crack so be confident with your self and get er done

16. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I would either pick up one of the tire spoons or grind the sharp edges ofa tire iron/pry bar. 16.5 are easy. The only time I've ripped a bead is dismounting/remounting old tires.