Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire storage ideas

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NJ SAR Guy, Mar 15, 2000.

1. NJ SAR Guy

NJ SAR Guy Registered Member

Okay, some recent posts mentioned saddle tanks available for K5s.
    On the old board, I had asked about this very possiability, but not for added fule capacity, but as a replacement for the stock fuel tank.
    Here's what I want to know:
    If I were to remove the stock fuel tank, how much capacity would I have with the saddle tanks?
    Do the saddle tanks have their own pumps and sending units, or do they depend on the stock tank's hardware?
    If I were to remove the stock fuel tank, would there be room for a tire storage rack like on GM pickups?
    If there is room to do this, and I pull it off, what would it do to my departure angle? I realize that it would depend on tire size, but how about with 35x12.5s for example?
    Thanks in advance.

NJ SAR Guy

Please excuse all of my misspelled wurds.

2. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    As far as capacity, it would depend on what size tanks you got. If you went with s-10's I think they commonly hold around 15-20 (please correct me if I'm wrong) and going with full size trucks I think one usually holds 10-15 & the other 20-25. And as far as the fuel pumps go, that would depend on what tanks they came out of. Another thing is, I had a 78, 79, 81 & 82 olds cutlass and the sending units openings were all the same. I'd dare to say that the sending units for all gm's are the same. As a matter of fact, one time a sending unit went out on a Cutlass and i replaced it with one out of a saddle tank at a junk yard. It was already out, so I don't know what it came out of, but it worked.

As far as getting more departure angle from removing you tank, the lowest part inline from the tires to the bumper on my truck is my trailer hitch. Granted I have let it in place for tank protection, but if you take a board and place it behind the rear tires and up against the bottom of the bumper (beside the tank) you should get a good idea of how much departure angle you would gain. I can't say that it would be all that great, but I know Depdog raised his tank 2". So, with that in mind, there must be something said to doing it.

I hope this atleast gave some insite to your objective.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

full size tanks from a chevy P/U will not fit a K5. The tanks are taller than the floor would alow room for. On a truck the tank sits partialy under the front seats. If you look at a truck the seat sits on about a 8 inch riser to make room for the tank. They also have a longer wheel base. Another thing about the side tanks is they are less protected. Several people I know with trucks have put K5 and Suburban tanks in so they could remove the saddle tanks for that reason. One other thing to point out is do you really want to be trying to get a muddy spare tire out from under a truck on a trail when the truck is already unstable due to being say off camber?
    If you want it out of the way put it on the roof or build a rack. Would be less work and much more accesible.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

4. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

I have a 1985 GMC Shortbox and while i belive the wheel base is the same length as a blazer the fuel tanks 15gal capacity per side do protrude into the cab area under the seats. The other problem is that a spare under the rear will hang lower than your fuel tank does already unless you get a very thin tire..but you are also limited to height as the frame rails are not that far apart back there so a taller tire would rest on the under side of the frame hanging low..where if memory serves me right your fuel tank is tucked up inbetween the frame rails. In one of the new additions of Peterson 4wheeler it think it's the editiors truck a short box mid 70's with side saddle tanks was wheelin in Colorado (i think) and ripped the crap out of his tanks, it's much eaiser to make a skid plate for your rear tank than side tanks and i think you can get like 30gal capacity tanks for blazers anyway....so in the short of it i need to cut down on the coffee and you need to build a rear spare carrier off the bumper. But if you do swap i'll take your old tank because i'm thinking about ripping out my side sadels and putting in a rear and then adding a 15 gal or so air tank on one side for onboard air and on the other side a water tank with a hotwater adapter for showers on the trail.

5. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

sweet idea on the use of the sides for air and water storage. i'm going to weld some caps on my nerf bars for air storage (re-inflating my tires only), but i like the hot water thing.
    what kind of hot water adapter are you talking about? i wonder if you could use an old fuel pump, and run a line around your exhaust to heat it up? an aluminum flex line shoud do the trick, and you might even rig a thermostat to control temperature! oh my god, i'm talking myself right into this fiasco!!!! hot showers, pressure wash the rig on the trail, the possibilities are endless!!!

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

6. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

I know it is a cool idea...someone does make an actual hotwater heater for trail use i've seen it in a mag...but i think i could figure something out...I mean the engine puts off enough heat so that would work great and i was thinking of the thermostat idea as well they make all kinds of diff temps for those things, of course early moring showers would require the truck to warm up awhile. I have gas fill doors on both sides of my truck i would have to add one to the rear for the new tank but then i would convert the other two so when you opened the doors on one side you would have a psi gauge and a coiled air hose that you could pull out and on the other side some kind of small dia. hose with a sprayer...maybe like a kitchen sink type sprayer on it......i wonder if i could use the air tank to pressurize the water tank so you could have nice water pressure coming out.......oh i've got to swap my gas tank... somethin's going to get tanken apart on my truck tonight!!

7. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

definitely keep me posted on this setup.

gotta be a way to avoid starting the rig first thing in the am for a shower, though.............

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

8. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Hmmmm let me think...if you move the gas tank...you could put a water tank in it's place....then just back the Blazer over the camp fire and let the heat from the fire drift up and heat the water for you. Easy....[​IMG]

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral