Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tire studding

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tecton, Jul 23, 2003.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

these are my tires
    [​IMG]
    they are F*in awesome...no complaints whatsoever

but if this winter is going to be like last one...im debating having studs put in. Its not rear traction that i desire...but many a time i would to go turn and the truck would keep goin strait....granted it was old bald tires i had at the time...but would you think these would perform in the snow well enough to not need studs?

2. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

If you drive a lot in icy roadconditions studs might be nice but for snow I wouldn't put studs in.

3. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Snow chains would be a lot easier of a mod you know...

So would be siping the tires

My first set of tires were 33" Bridgestone MT's. They were a fairly good set of tires, but they sucked on ice. My 37" SSR with siping on the center part of the tread handle a heck of a lot better on the ice than the MT's.

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

You know, I love snow chains. THe problem is, driving portions that are highway, (which get cleared ) and when you hit the local routes, their still covered with snow. Damn stinkin annoying.

[ QUOTE ]
    Snow chains would be a lot easier of a mod you know...

So would be siping the tires

My first set of tires were 33" Bridgestone MT's. They were a fairly good set of tires, but they sucked on ice. My 37" SSR with siping on the center part of the tread handle a heck of a lot better on the ice than the MT's.

[/ QUOTE ]

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you are already driving on the tires, then most shops will refuse to install studs in them. Rocks, dirt, etc. get jammed into the stud holes, making it very difficult to install the studs. Also, check with the local authorities to see if (or when) it is even legal to run studs. Some states outlaw them outright, as they really tear up the roads. Some states only allow them during winter. Colorado allows them year round, due to the wacky weather that can happen at any time of year in the higher elevations. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i only wanted them cause last winter i was all over the place...

im going to get bigger tires next spring and a lift to so thats why i wanted them...so i dont wreck my truck before then, lol

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

in snow with those tires studs would not be needed in ice yes they would help /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

Most people around here stay away from studs and chains. The best setup I have found for ice/snow is a good A/T tire that is not too wide. I use a BFG 35-12.5-15 AT. It works well. If you want to keep your mud tires you can get them siped. Siped mud tires work well on ice and snow.

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Mind if I ask why they stay away from chains? I mean, they are a hassle to put on and take off, and you cant really use them at highway speeds unless there's like 1 foot of snow.. but other than that...?

[ QUOTE ]
    Most people around here stay away from studs and chains. The best setup I have found for ice/snow is a good A/T tire that is not too wide. I use a BFG 35-12.5-15 AT. It works well. If you want to keep your mud tires you can get them siped. Siped mud tires work well on ice and snow.

[/ QUOTE ]