Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jagged, May 17, 2005.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Well, I've decided I'm gonna take the plunge and get some slightly better tires than the AT's currently on the K5. I won't be lifting the truck, just using some zero-rates, and some fender trimming so I can fit 33's on the truck. I don't want to go any larger yet because I'm not ready to lift it, nor am I ready to upgrade the axles. The size I'm looking for is in the 33x11-33x12.5 range and the terrain my truck is normally found in is pretty much mud and wet sand.

The current tires I'm considering are;
    Super Swamper Trxus M/T Radial (33x12.5)
    Pro Comp Mud Terrain (33x12.5)

There are a couple others like the Super Swamper LTB (33x13.5) that I like, but they look a little wide for me to be able to fit them without lifting.

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on those two tires (and also if you have any other suggestions); I'm trying to keep my budget with at most ~$160 a tire (unless I can find some good used ones in my area).

2. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

Stick with radial tires and you will be fine. Doesn't sound like you do any hard wheelin so bias ply ( swamper LTB's) will not be a good choice for you. Bias ply tires are far from smooth after sitting overnight.
    BTW, lift has nothing to do with axle strength.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

www.nebraskatire.com has some pretty good deals. I like the look of the Maxis Creepy Crawlers, but I think the smallest they carry are 35's. Chech the site out, you might find something you like. The Buckshot Mudders are going for $135.00 per tire for 33's.

4. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I know lift has nothing to do with axle strength, but you lift to fit bigger tires, and those bigger tires strain the axles more, that's what I was trying to get at.

Z3PR: thanks for the link

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have a set of 35" procomp muds... like them a lot. Seem to last forever and it takes very little weight to balance them. Heck, I could probably run them without weights without to much problem. Every time I have a tire store mount them they say something like "these are the true-est tires of this size Ive seen".

j

6. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Yeah, a friend of mine has a ford ranger with some pro comp muds on them, and he seems to like them a lot. I just always get a little weary and hesitant when I'm getting ready to spend this much money on something like this; it's not like I can throw some tires on the truck and take em for a test drive or anything, so all I really have to go on right now is just other people's recommendations :|

7. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

And when I took my boggers in to get mounted they said "Oh my god, please don't tell me you want those balanced."

I've ridden in a trucks with the pro-comps and they seemed to ride nice on the street. Was off road in it also and they performed pretty well, never got to drive though.

I would recommend the BFG Muds also. Last time I looked they were $159/tire. A friend of mine has 33x12.50's on his truck (same as my DD) and when I want to wheel my daily driver I borrow them. :D They clean well and have excellent street manners.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I have no idea how the BFG MT's compare to the tires you have listed, both in price and performance, but they can be had in 33x10.5R15.

No lift with 33's is always an iffy subject. Stock wheels, 10.5" wide 33's seem to clear in every case. (not saying that it's 100% though, every truck is different)

A wider tire is going to work better in sand, but I'd personally put up with the lack of traction under certain circumstances instead of dealing with "it rubs only when I turn!" which could have been prevented by going with narrower tires in the first place. If your whole point is what will fit without lifting, 33x12.5R15 is more than likely not the right choice.

I'm running the BFG AT's, and they are lasting really well, I'd expect the MT's to be well-wearing too.

9. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I think what I may do, before I actually purchase any tires now, is try to find a 33x10.5 and a 33x12.5 (there's a couple junkyards and tire shops around the garage I work part-time at). Mount the tires on some spare 15" rims, and just see how much of a clearance issue I'll have. Won't be able to do that until memorial day though, I'm at home in VA on leave (and with no K5 >:| )

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Wheel backspacing is critical. You might get a set of 33x10.5's to rub with non-stock wheels. That's the problem with a lot of different size tire mounting, most people are dealing with aftermarket wheels with non-stock backspacing.

Everyone I'm aware of running the 33x10.5s on stock wheels doesn't rub, ever. From what I've tried, it's impossible to replicate the conditions of "max flex" in a garage. But it's been said that putting one rear tire on a stand, and the opposite front on a stand, will allow you to max out the suspension, but that is the ONLY way you will know if the tires will rub in any condition.

11. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

12. okie k5

okie k5 Registered Member

Maxxis Buckshot

When I go tires a couple of my friends were running Maxxis Buckshot mudders. So I bought the biggest they made, 34.5 or something like that. They are awesome. I have never balanced them. I have 20,000 miles on them and they have between 85% and 90% of the tread on them. They are so quite that my stock exhaust was louder on the highway, cruise 80mph awesome, and I haven't gotten stuck, yet. I know that getting stuck is a relative term, but I have buried up to the frame and I just put it in reverse get back a few feet, put it in d and go to town. I air them down to 10psi in rocks and they seem to envelope the rock real good.

13. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Yeah, I think when I get back to Wichita I'm definately gonna see what everyone else is running there, I'll definately be running a mud tire, it's just a matter of which tread design I go with (and works with the couple different types of mud we have). I've got pretty much three types of mud I deal with; grey/blackish looking "slop", brown earth that just gets real slick, and red clay that'll stick to anything, and then there's a little bit of sand close to the rivers. I'm pretty sure any tire I get is gonna be a step up from the AT's that are currently on the truck.

14. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

I second the BFG muds they are great tires, they ride smooth and still work well in most conditions, they are also reasonably priced.

15. wildcatkit52

wildcatkit52 Registered Member

I am about to spring for a set of Maxxis Creepy Crawler 38.5x14.50-16LT D/8PR's... My girlfriend's brother own's a tire shop so I can get them at cost... ALWAYS a plus. I also found out today that I can get a 14bFF and Dana 60 from a guy... I got my old man working it out on the "owe you one" plan that everyone my dad knows seems to be in on. It may take a few months before there are some available but relatively free is always a good price.

16. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

For some reason, I've had the same problem. :haha: Whats the big deal? :rotfl:

I would go with a BFG M/T. I hear they wear better than the Pro Comps.

17. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Umm yeah, if I were gonna get same larger sized tires, I would be considering other types, but 33's is pretty much all I need right now; appreciate it anyways.

Yeah, I know how that goes; I work part time at a garage that's run by my girlfriend's father; he's working some lines to get me some axles and used lifts, already have a couple spare driveshafts right now :)