Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tire suggestions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GONZO2, Nov 6, 2001.

1. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

alright it's time to stuff some tires under my newly lifted k5!

i was checking tirerack.com and i came up with these, what do you guys think?
    tire size $$$
    bfg mt 35x12.5x15 155
    bfg mt km 35x12.5x15 151
    " 33x12.5x15 144
    kunho
    venture mt 35x12.5x15 113
    " 33x12.5x15 97
    dunlop
    mudrover 35x12.5x15 135

which is the better tire? i'm thinking the bfg mt km. the price of those kumho's has me thinking though. any one have kumho tires? good/ bad?
    oh the reason for the 2 sizes is i put a 4" lift on my blazer and till i can find a shop around here that has a 35 in stock that i can size up to ensure fit i won't know. hate to order tires and have them rub!
    thanks

<font color=blue>85 blazer</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>88 blazer</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>99 30th ann. TA</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>79 TA</font color=blue>

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would go BFG. Between me and my dad we have 3 sets of BFG's and they are great tires. As for size, 35's might rub, but I'm not sure, but there are people here that can help you with that question.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

3. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

alright just got back from lunch.
    i was driving the wife's blazer and when i got to arby's i parked next to an older k5 (late 70's maybe). when i pulled along side the other blazer i noticed his sat a little higher (my wife's blazer is on 33's, stock springs), so when i get out i went to see what he had for tires. wow, 35x12.5x15 bfg at! perfect for me to get a look at. so now i really start looking to see if i could tell how much lift it had. as best i could tell he had maybe 2" of lift. it looked more like add a leafs to me though. then i looked at the fenders to see if they were trimmed. as best i could tell they did not look trimmed, if they were it was very little.
    i know for a fact this truck was not as high as mine is now and mine is still on 32"s tires. so now i definately want 35"S.
    anyone have pics of their rigs with 4" lift and 35s?

4. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Dunlop tires are real good. Wear just as good if not better than the BFGs and will save you almost $100. PErformace is nothing but equal.

Ken H.

'85 K5 in process

5. OneLeft

OneLeft 1/2 ton status

I have a used set of Yoko MT's for sale. 75% of the rubber is still there. There is a post in the for sale Forum. If your interested.

<font color=red>One</font color=red><font color=blue>Left</font color=blue>
    Have <font color=red>K5</font color=red>, will travel.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/OneLeft>See my ride</a>

6. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

are you in montana?
    how much?
    do you have a pic of the tires you are selling?

7. kihlj

kihlj Registered Member

Just a thought for you, 4wheelparts.com has their ProComp tires on sale. Buy 3 get the 4 for free. You could get a real nice set of ProComps new XTerrain for $500-600 including shipping.

8. kihlj

kihlj Registered Member

Just a thought for you, 4wheelparts.com has their ProComp tires on sale. Buy 3 get the 4 for free. You could get a real nice set of ProComps new XTerrain for $500-600 including shipping.

9. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

im running 35x12.50 good year wrangler mt/r and they are the best!!!
    i dont have ne rub either
    their a little pricey tho

<font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    85 K5 4IN LIFT 35 GOOD YEAR WRANGLER MT/R, AMERICAN RACING WHEELS

10. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

kihlj
    thanks for the tip on the pro comps. the xterrain may be a little more aggressive a tread than i'm looking for though. i did lookd into their mt though and that may be a possibility. not a bad price once you get the 4th free. it is almost as cheap as the kumho venture.

11. 90BlazerK5

90BlazerK5 Registered Member

I've had two tire types on my rig. Previously, it was the BFG's, and they are a great tire! However, they DID rub a little (35x12.50r15) Now I've got a Les Scwab TXR tire in the SAME size, however, the TXR's are about one inch smaller. Personally, I prefer the TXR's over the BFG's due to less road noise, but hey, thats just my opinion! [​IMG]

Where did all these damned dirty apes come from!?!

12. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

get swampers!! nothing like the sound of a set of TSLs going down the road. my truck sounds like an old propeller driven plane.

SWAMPERS RULE!!
    scott,
    1989 GMC suburban 3/4t 4" lift finally rollin on 36" swampers, tbi350, th350, np241

13. OneLeft

OneLeft 1/2 ton status

Nope I am in Colorado. I put a link to a site that has a pic of the tire I have for sale. But there again, shipping would kill ya.

My vote is join CK5 and got get tires from 4WheelParts, I believe we members get a 10% discount.

<font color=red>One</font color=red><font color=blue>Left</font color=blue>
    Have <font color=red>K5</font color=red>, will travel.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/OneLeft>See my ride</a>

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Interco or Maxxis buckshots.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

15. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Check out the link to my website in my sig. I have an '85 with 4" Rough Country lift and BFG 35x12.50x15 BFG MTs on 15x10 Centerline Hellcats.

I have trimmed my fenders (with bushwacker flares), installed larger bumpstops, and am installing a 1" ORD body lift this weekend to stop the tire rub. But, that's just my experience and by no means a rule.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

16. KENT

KENT 1/2 ton status

has anyone tried out a set of the xterrains?

the price is right but how do they perform?

Kent

1989 K5

17. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

tx85gmcguy
    thanks for the pics and info. how bad do they rub now without trimming or the body lift?
    i have the same 4" rough country lift on an 85 blazer.
    i had some spare time today so i swapped on the 33's from my wife's truck and they just look too small with this lift. however i did take some measurements while they were on. maybe you guys can tell me if i was thinking right when i measured.
    alright with the 33's in place on the truck i cut the wheel to the point where the tire is the closest to the edge of my running board(front inside tip of running board) at this point i still have just over 1" between the tire and that point. when you cut the opposite way i have about 21/2-3" between the tire and the front edge of the fender. now if i calculated right a 35" (listed at34.85"diameter) should be about 1" closer at these two points. the 33 i measured out to just over 32" of diameter.
    my other option i was considering is, since i was planning on new wheels in the future anyway. to just buy some new 16" american eagle wheels and get the 315/75 16 (listed at 34.4 diameter) tires which should be slightly smaller than a 35x12.5 15.
    if i get 15" tires they would be mounted on the stock steel wheels for now. they 8" wide correct? how does an 8" rim as apposed to a 10" rim effect the tire?

18. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

anyone have any input on that last post?

also thought i found a decent deal here in town on some 35x12.5x15 big o xt tires. guy was selling them used (supposedly only 3k miles) still wanted like $550 for the tires though.

can someone explain why it is that 16" tires cost so much more than 15" tires. it was always one of my plans that when i did get new wheels they would be 16"s, but now i'm thinkin if that money couldn't be put to better use. i plan on ordering tires some time tonight because i go back to work tommorow and won't be back for 5 days.

19. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I was probably goign to go with the Kumho's for my project truck because it seems everyone is getting away fromt he 16.5" tire...

Alot of guys are using the Kumho tires for autocross and Ultra high performance street tires and I have never heard a bad thing about them. They even seem to have a long tread life also! I did see an old set of Kumhos in action about 5 years ago.... It mot have been one of their first truck tires.. It was an M/T and it performed jsut as well if not better than the BFG's....

Mike

<font color=green>"1024x768x256... Sounds like one mean woman."</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

20. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Before I trimmed the fenders, I had a LOT of rubbing with flex offroad. There were a few ravines that we crossed that the flex caused me to not be able to turn. The sound of the lugs popping against the fenders also got everyones attention! Should have seen the look on my face when I was wondering what just snapped?!?

I trimmed for the bushwackers and that was about 1-2" in the front of the wheel well and the back to the inner fender. I haven't flexed it offroad since then, so I don't know if I am clearing or not. If not, I will clip the lower support for the inner fender, bang it back, trim the outer some more, and reposition the back of the bushwacker.

10" rims do allow the tire to "flatten" out some more that a 7 or 8" wheel. Also, depending on your backspacing, it can move the outer part of the tire more than your stock wheels. Think about it. The wheel pivots from the knuckle. The further out from the knuckle to the edge of the tire (outer edge), the further the outer edge of the tire will move (forward and back) when turning.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!