Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tire swap... to do or not to do

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rwright07, Apr 12, 2007.

?

to swap or not to swap?

Poll closed Apr 17, 2007.
  1. hell yea swap them and you'll be ok w/ the 37" spare

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. ummm... i dont think thats a smart idea

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. who needs tires! drive nekked!!

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

i found a guy on craigslist who bought a set of 38x15.5x16.5 radial swampers and hey cannot turn them w/out hitting his fenders but he doesnt want to trim, instead he wants to swap me for my tires, 37x12.5x16 SSR's. one of the main reasons he wants to swap w/ me is we have the exact same style of wheels.

heres my qualm with the situation... he only has 4, i have 5 and i need to ensure that my spare will work w/ the rest.

will a 37in spare work with 38's? i am conserned becuase i am planning a trip to baja this summer and the reality is i may be utilizing spares for some distance

he also has staun internal beadlocks for the wheels that he wants $150 each (600) for. is this a good deal/idea?

what do u guys think?

2. bbck5on37s

bbck5on37s 1/2 ton status

Stauns run $175 each through 4-wheel parts but i think that they have some kinda warrenty......

3. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

You will be fine with a 37" spare. Whatever you do, put the spare on the front axle when driving long distances if you have a rear locker. Otherwise, locker damage may occur. I know the routine, and I dont mind it, I have a set of 39.5" tsl's bias and 1 38" radial spare. Luckily i had a spare when the 1 time i needed it, and it drove me home 1 hour away from the trail.

4. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

ok i think im going to go through with the tire swap but not buy the beadlocks... i dont know how smart it would be to run beadlocks w. radials

thanks guys

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

150.00 Isn't the greatest deal on the Stauns, especially if they are the older green ones.

6. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

if i brought my truck into mexico i would carry a fullsize spare or two for sure, you can always find a single tire for a spare

7. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

I don't think I would want to wheel 16.5's very hard without the beadlocks, especially with any concerns over my spare. Just my .02

8. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Don't do it unless you get enough extra $$ to keep your spare. Plus, if you're gonna be doing that much driving, you're better of with the SSRs you have now. Also, stay away from the Staun beadlocks. I had nothing but trouble from mine.