Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire-Wheel problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Tommy, Nov 26, 2000.

1. Tommy

Tommy 1/2 ton status

Went wheelin today, I'm no pro, but I got in a hole and the tire come off the rim. First ride with new setup, I now have 16.5x14" Bart wheels with 18/39 mickeys. I know, you all hate mickeys, but I've had good service out of three sets. Is the 16.5 gonna be prone to losing the bead? I had pressure low, but they said it just come off easily. Any solutions or tricks you guys have? Do I need a different combo? I wish I'D bought 12" aluminum and 16/38 swampers. Any advice?

Drive it Like You Hate It!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I use 16.5" rims too, but they are very narrow. 6.75" with a 12.5" tire. 16.5" rims don't have the safety lip on the rim like the 15's and 16's. I usually run more air than most but can still go down to about 12-15 PSI without worrying about losing a bead. If I were you I would just run more air.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Typically, the 16.5 wheels will lose the bead easier than most 15 or 16 wheels will because of the lack of a safety bead...........though under the right circumstances you can knock the bead off of just about any tire/wheel combo. I personally lost a bead on a set of 15" tires running 25 psi when I dropped into a mudhole and the sidewalls hit a root.