Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire & Wheel selection advise sought

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1Blazin71, Feb 12, 2002.

1. 1Blazin71

1Blazin71 1/2 ton status

Aug 23, 2000
    I'm swapping the 12 bolt for a 14 FF and converting the D44 to 8 lug. I'm doing the ORD shackle flip and a 37gal tank at the same time so it's getting a little pricey and I dont have the funds to get a great set of tires and wheels at the same time.

I've been running Cepek MCIIs for about 3 years and like them fine for trails, mud, sand and general off road stuff but they leave a lot to be desired now that it's a daily driver too.

My plan for meats and rims for the 8 lug conversion is to get some lesser expensive 16.5 steel wheels with 35 x 12.5 BFG AT KOs (actually cheaper than 33s on 16 or 16.5). Eventually I'll get some steel beadlocks and some nice TSLs or Goodyear MTRs for offroad exclusively.

The problem I'm running into is deciding on what width wheel to run...I can get black rockcrawlers in 16.5 x 8.25 for $68 each or American 767's in 16.5 x 9.75 for $65.

When using these ATs aired down for trail, sand, and mild rock crawling until I can afford nicer offroad wheel/tire, is a wider wheel better at holding the bead or is a narrower wheel better at buldging the sidewall and protecting the wheel and hub?

Matthew Meyer
    '71 Ochre K5 - 4" Lift 35"s
    ZZ4 350 - 700R