Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire width?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bart, Apr 7, 2000.

1. bart

bart Registered Member

Okay, the lift and suspension plans are in place..now time to decide on the tires...I'm going with 6" of susp lift...I am wanting to run 35" tires...should I do 12.5 or 14.5 width? I will be disconnecting my swaybar...
    any ideas?

2. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Well, it depends on what you plan to do with your tires. Most 35's that come in 14.5 are mud tires so if you are going mostly off-roading in deeper mud, you may (that debate rages on) want to go with the wider tires. If you plan on being in a lot of not so deep mud or in snow and slush, stick with the 12.5 for less flotation and hydroplaning.

Good Luck
    Brian
    Back in Search of the TBI KING!!

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Typically the narrower tire will handle better on the road and is a little easier on the wheel bearings, steering components and such as they (typically) weigh less and place less leverage on these parts. Wider tires also generally require more clearance to keep them from rubbing (mainly during turns).
    Since you are planning on disconnecting the swaybar, I assume you are planning on going fourwheeling. There is a good chance you will need to do a little fender trimming to avoid any rubbing under full articulation, with either width tire.

4. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

I'm not the tire expert, but just like that Grand Prix commercial.......Wider is BETTER. haha I have to agree with the guys, it all depends on what you are going to do with them. I myself am going to put a 6" lift with 15-35-15 Swamper TSL's on my Jimmy. Good luck.

"Crutch" Huckins
    What me get stuck? NEVER!!(Famous last words)

5. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

while on the subject, i got a 6in suspension lift under mine and bushwacker cut out flares, i want to go as wide as possible on the tires like maybe 14.4-17.5 what size tire should i got with, i was thinking 38s or 39s, should i step down to 35s or 36s? i mostly drive it to school, and during winter i do take it out playing and also through some fields. any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks