Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tire wobble....BAD

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun89, Jan 27, 2006.

1. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

i got some 38" gumbos(I didnt buy them), one tire in the front at about 30-35mph it thrashes back and forth like its about to pop off the truck, and the truck goes crazy, so i switched it from the driver side to the passenger side, it stopped for a day or so then started again with the same tire...it doesnt always do it, just sometimes...mostly when slowing down....any clue what it could be?:doah: im gonna stab it soon.:mad:

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Could be tread seperation, or an out of round tire. If it is tread seperation, then the tire is dust. But if it is out of round, then it could cost you more money to have it shaved then the tire is worth. You say you did "not buy them". If they where given to you for free, then now you know the reason why. :D

3. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

hmmmm tread separation....that could be painful

4. 86Cucvbeater

86Cucvbeater 1/2 ton status

Maybe check the kingpin springs and bushings if your truck has a dana 60

5. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Sounds like death wobble to me.

6. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

no my truck only has a 10b (i got 3/4ton ready to be put in but no 8b rims or tires)...its just not the usual death wobble, its shaking left and right, jerking the steering wheel back and forth...only at 30-35mph...thats what is reeeeallly confusing me, i dont understand y it would do it then and not at any faster or slower speeds.:doah: :mad:

7. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

try putting it on the back.......see if it does it then, if not then its in your frontend

8. rustyear

rustyear Registered Member

this exact same thing happened to me, it turned out to be tire balance...i had no clue at the time, it was so bad it felt like the wheels were coming clear off the ground. i replaced shocks, checked all bolts a couple of times, replaced the steering stabilizer...then had the tires spin balanced by a guy who knew what he was doing, and presto...smooth as glass. it was at low speed, too, but i dont know if it would have gone away if i went faster cuz at the time, speeding up when my front end was wiggin out that bad was the last thing i was gonna do.

9. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

Check the draglink, that is the reason my old 10 bolts got death wobble. Death wobble in a 10 bolt is not common, something needs to be checked. Have a friend steer the truck and look for play in tierod's, balljoints, draglink, etc.

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Put the front end on jackstands.....then spin the tire and "sight" across the top of the tread as you spin it slowly. If you see the tread moving up and down as it rotates, then you know you have an egg-shaped tire. No amount of balancing will fix that.

If it spins true and round, then you need to look for other culprits.

Good luck.