Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tire

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1978Blazerk5, Mar 3, 2007.

1. 1978Blazerk5

1978Blazerk5 1/2 ton status

well basicaly i have a 78 blazer on 33 12.50 i took the thing out in the snow in 2 wheel drive it wouldnt even move just sat and spun the tires(it finally moved in 4 wheel but barely) well i am think two problems. problam one is tire's currently i got Kelly Safari AWB's on there. probalm two is the gov-lock in the rear. What do you guys think, suggestions on tires ect
    Thanks
    I dont know much about tires(just to let you guys know)

By the way here is a picture of the tire when i took it out in the snow
    [​IMG]

2. otisringle

otisringle 1/2 ton status

I went out in the snow the other day with 32.11.50 bfg Ats. Never got stuck, pulled out a few trucks that were lifted with mud tires and what not. I did have 4 passengers with me so I think the weight may have helped out alot. but yeah the BFG ats seem good.

3. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

If thats as deep as it got or maybe a little deeper..shouldnt be getting stuck at all, iv been through worse in a 2wd minivan.

The gov lock should be helping..otherwise you would probably only have on tire spinning in the rear. Anything with wider, or simply more open gaps between the tread on the tire would probably help(BFG A/T as the guy atop said). We dont get snow often so i cant help much. Was there ice underneith the snow?

Check into studs, and the legallity of them in your area. If the tires you have now cant use em check into some that already have the holes for them.

4. 1978Blazerk5

studs in the tires are not legal here either are snow chains

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Siping is your friend in the snow. Sipes are the tiny grooves in the rubber that catch some snow and pull you along. Snow sticks to snow better than rubber does, so in the case of snow you want the tires to plug up some....

Your tires look like they lacked the siping in the first place, or you have worn through it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 1978Blazerk5

well they dont have any siping, they are pretty new (they were on the truck when i bought it)

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

add weight...

My 82 K20,and every other 4x4 truck I've owned is a cripple in 2wd,especially if the plow is on it..feels so nose heavy that the rear tires are barely making contact with the road,and they spin VERY easily!..and you'll find the ass end passing you in a panic stop situation if the roads are wet or slick!...

Adding about 300-500 lbs of weight (or more if the snow is deep!) helps a lot--my tires are "E" rated and just about bald,which adds to the problem,but adding weight makes the truck much more capable in 2wd,and makes pushing heavy wet snow in 4wd much easier..

I've found tall skinny tires work best on the snowy roads here--wide tires tend to "float" on top of the snow and the truck will slide and spin all over the place..old style snow tires with the "chevron" tread seem to work the best for me,but they are getting scarce..I put chains on when it it gets real bad here,but they are still legal..kind of a pain taking them on and off though,since most roads are bare,and a few miles of "bad road" is only where you need the chains..:crazy:

8. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Just wear them out and save for a better set for next winter....

9. 1978Blazerk5

the main problem is i can't run a small tire becuse the gears i have with 33's and 4.56 gears 3000 rpms at 60 mph:doah: maybe get a 33 10.50 but would there really be a difference between a 10.50 and 12.50

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

TALL but skinny!..

You can get7.50x16" or 900x16" tires or something similar that is still tall, and has an OD of about 33",yet still is "skinny" as far as tread width..that won't raise your RPMs,yet will allow better traction in snow..:crazy:

11. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

You would be amazed at the difference between a 10.50 and a 12.50. I had 33-10.50-15 BFG All Terrains on my 78 K10 and never had a problem. The skinnier the tire the better it can get down to the ground and get traction.

12. 1978Blazerk5

off of curousity i still have to drive the truck and it snow almost every day and to get to school i have to drive up a steep hill can you guys give me suggestions

13. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

What type of wheeling do you do?

If this a 4WD truck for where you live to get through the snow with no real wheeling, than get the best tire for the snow - the skinny tire. If you also wheel regularly during the non snow season, then you may want a middle of the road width ATR tire that gives you traction for the snow and some offroad capability.

14. 1978Blazerk5

i plan to do mild off roading nothing to extreme trial riding mild mudding just play around with the truck i just bought the truck a couple months ago and havent had a chance to go off roading yet

for tires i was thinking bfg ats