Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tired 305

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric, Nov 25, 2000.

1. Eric

Eric Registered Member

Already performed a seach on replacement crate engines and learned a lot. It looks like the GM Goodwrench Crate Engine is a good cheap option.

However, will I notice a difference in power from my stock 305 (160HP?) and is it enough power. I plan to tow a boat in the future and also go off-road. I will swap intake/carb/HEI and do not plan to upgrade anything. What have you all found?

The HT383 Crate Enginer is more expensive but definately puts out some low-end torque. Anyone running this? Is it worth it?

I have a carburated 1986 (computer controlled). Will one be easier to swap than the other? Pretty sure I need to change the harmonic balancer and the flexplate in both cases.

Thanks for the help!

One eyed super fly- watch out!
    86 K5 Blazer

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I bought the GM Goodwrench Crate Motor for my old '85 scotsdale. It is a 4 bolt main and I bought it for $1300. Before I installed it I added a high volume oil pump, a mild cam, edelbrock performer manifold and a new holley 600cfm silver series 4 barrel. This thing had a remarkable difference in power compared to the old 305. I'm not exactly sure how much HP I was getting out of it but I now it was plenty for what I did. The engine was great. Great price and performance.

89 K5 Silverado
    http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Now was it the Goodwrench motors that I heard bad things about? Like terrible casting quality using poor-quality iron? Mexican motors? (No offense to anyone on this forum) I remember hearing something about it, and making a mental note about it. You can see how well my mental notes hold up...

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

4. EDGE

EDGE Registered Member

I have also been doing alot of research about swapping a 305 for something else like a 350.I also haven't found anyone that will take a 305 core for anything but a 305.Just my two cents.Let us know if you find a really good price.