Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tired front leaf springs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vortec, Nov 5, 2004.

1. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

hey. i know this will sound like a dumb question, but try not to laugh at me too hard. i'm not new to automotive stuff, just to the k5. i'm used to my '94 pickup and its ifs, but the '82 blazer has front leafs. are they supposed to be at all flattened or inverted? i've seen several other stock height k5's that look the same. are theirs just worn out, too? it handles well on and offroad but i can't help but think they're worn out.

anyone know the most likely reasons for burning oil on the 1982 5.7L or should i just go hunt down the usual suspects (that's always tons of fun)?

thanks for any advice you can toss my way. learning a "new" vehicle is fun, but can be humbling.

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

stock springs sit pretty flat... and a little inverted as they sag a bit (the truck is 20+ years old! it happens) its usually the rear that people find sagging though... you could always remedy with a small lift (2" or so)

as far as the oil... how much is it burning? how much is it leaking? could be any number of "the usual suspects"

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

yes, that is the way they are. they do get weak over time and may sag alittle, but for the most part the fronts "stock" are negatively arched when the trucks weight is on them.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, old stock front springs tend to do that. If it handles ok "on and offroad" I wouldn't worry about it.

j

5. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

thanx for all your responses. i do plan to lift it 2-4" at some point, but the condidion of the current suspension would be a determining factor in how soon. i've heard i can put 33x12.5's on with no lift, and my friend has 35x12.5 with only a 2.5" lift, with no problem. since i have to drive so far to find anything unpaved, i need to keep it very streetable.

not really any oil leaking externally replaced valve cover gaskets a few days after i bought it. however, my hydrocarbons tested very high at inspection, while the other stuff was reasonable. and if i hit the gas hard, i can smell some oil, though i can't see smoke.