Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tired of banging gas tank/frame on the ground

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by txfireman110, Jun 14, 2004.

1. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

Let me start by apologizing for long post, just want to give detailed description. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

I want to move my rear axle back 2-3 inches, but do not want any extra height, as the rear allready sits 1" higher than the front. I have 4" springs in back w/o blocks, and would like to stay away from blocks if possible, but if not, so be it. The hangers are stock, but would not mind changing if necessary. The major key in this is INEXPENSIVE and FLEXY. I know, impossible, but this is CK5!! someone has to know what to do!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Like discussed in another thread you could swap in a set of 56" springs, do a flip and run the springs backwards. Would move your axle back 4" and be flexier. Could just drill spring pads and move the axle back 1.5", wouldn't help as much as you want but it would be good.

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Careful with reversing asymetric springs. You can get into some serious pinion issues due to binding the joint due to the axle being on the back side of the arch.

For me, I would suggest going to stock 56" springs. Get a 3/4 or 1 ton pack, then you can play with leaf selection to get the rate/height you want. Flip the back which replaces your 4" lift. You can make or buy an offset plate (zero rate from ORD or similar from AZ Kickin') to move the axle back 1.5" with no major negative effects. And move both hangers back a few inches to pick up a few more. Very little cost and can net you +3-4" on wheel base with mostly just your work...