Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tired of that low hanging 241? So was I :) ***PICS*** UPDATE!!! AGAIN!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Kyle89K5, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Alrighty. As some of you know, I've been trying to get my 241 clocked up for some time now. Well, I finally got there.

Here's the breakdown. I used a 5/16" ring that was drilled and tapped with 3 different adjustments. I was able to go to the highest setting, due to a 1" body lift on my truck and the fact that the case is still dropped 1". When I raise that 1" back up, I will need the BFH to make room.

This ring is NOT something I made. DP90K5 has got the contacts to get these, and I believe is willing to work with folks to get a SMOKIN deal on them. Contact him if you want some $$ figures and delivery. Send him a PM, you will NOT be disapointed.

Any questions on the install, ask away. I just got this installed last night so it's all fresh in my head what the instal was like and anything *extra* that needed to be done. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

on to the pics.

[​IMG]

This picture does just NOT do justice to the amount of room that was gained.
    [​IMG]

I swiped this pic from another post t give you an idea of how much higher it is /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    [​IMG]

***********UPDATE**********************UPDATE**********************UPDATE***********
    Drove the truck for the first time yesterday, and for an extended drive today. The thing is smooth as glass. I pulled the front driveshaft off yesterday So I can grind the CV just a little for more room. I'm also going to looking into a temp fix spacer to make the front shaft a little longer to compensate and some shims for the front end to gget the angle at the pumpkin a little better. The rear driveshaft looks great, but I am going to put in some zero rates to pull the slip yoke out a bit. I do have one small leak where the ring bolted to the case, I'm going to pull the case back out when I get home and re-seal it.

Overall impression is still /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    ***********UPDATE**********************UPDATE**********************UPDATE***********

Had a small leak between the ring and the t/c. Pulled the case back down and started the re-seal process. Here's a little tip for those doing the install, it's prb. a good idea to seal up the addtional holes in the ring as best as possible, and your can't use enough RTV. I tried to be nice and neat the first time and some of the RTV squeezed out into one of the holes, allowing a leak. I've re-sealed it and all is well. Also, when installing the studs, don't go to far, just loc-tite them and go easy. I scarred the aluminum of the case a little putting the studs in. Nothing major, just an observation /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

Re: Tired of that low hanging 241? So was I :) ***PICS***

thats great! i've always hated how low mine hangs also (did i just say that out loud /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif) anyway great job. !! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    thats great! i've always hated how low mine hangs also (did i just say that out loud /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif) anyway great job. !! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This thing was easy (kinda) to install. I HIGHLY recomend it to EVERYONE with a 208/241. New skid plate/x member is already in the works /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

What kind of shiter modifications are you going to have to make in order for this to work? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Nice!

That exhuast looks like ass though, did you bash it on a rock and just let it hang like me?

6. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I don't know a whole lot about the 241 but is the mounting pattern the same as a 208?

Cause that is something I'd do to my 208 in a heart beat if I could. I can't stand how low that thing hangs and on a Burb with not a lot of lift it gets me high centered way to easy.

Anyway that looks absolutly awesome. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Kicka$$ mod. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

In order /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bullet:
    The shifter bolted back up. I had to adjust it out a bunch, but no "REAL" modification

RJ:
    Just looks like ass, haven't gotten it bolted back up, just hanging there.

skratch:
    AFAIK, they are the same pattern. The 700-208 adapter is the same as the 700-241 adapter. The only difference was that they had a TALL and a SHORT adapter. That wouldn't pertain to this ring. DO IT, you WILL NOT BE DISAPOINTED!

8. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Do you know if the round bolt pattern for the 208/241 is the same as a late model 205? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. blazerdude69

blazerdude69 Registered Member

being a blueby i cannot pm DP90K5 any other way to get ahold of him? would love to get one of those and get the 208 up out of the way.

10. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

So you lose 5/16 inch of spline engagement between the tranny and transfer case? Do you have and pics of the ring?

Thanks,
    Mike

11. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

how does the lubrication in the transfer case work now that it is sideways? how are the drive angles? isnt the front driveshaft at an extreme angle?

12. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

Here's a shot of the ring.

I'm not sure about the 205, i'll snoop around. Do you have a round bolt pattern 205 sitting around the house?

I lost 5/16" of spline, that's correct. I went back and forth about whether or not I wanted to lose that and when it was all said and done, I'm not worried about it one bit.

13. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

dpalms@bigzoo.net He has it listed in his profile /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    how does the lubrication in the transfer case work now that it is sideways? how are the drive angles? isnt the front driveshaft at an extreme angle?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not too worried about the lubrication. I will prb be overfilling the case a little bit and adding a resevoir can to the vent line. This was a recomendation by NVG when I talked with them about this. They see NO issues WHATSOEVER. Made me feel a little better.

The front driveshaft is now a little short. I'll either go with a spacer or a new shaft, depends on money. The angle goes right to left more (from the back of the truck) and is at a taller angle. I will also be adding a shim to the front end to get the angle closer and to keep from being forced to grind the yokes. I may still need to. I also don't use 4 wheel drive unless I'm offroad and that's slow going so I'm not concerned about balancing much either.

15. nvrenuf

I do have a couple of round pattern cases, I may hunt for a 241 gasket this weekend and compare the patterns.

You'd better tell Dan to clean out his "in" box. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I do have a couple of round pattern cases, I may hunt for a 241 gasket this weekend and compare the patterns.

You'd better tell Dan to clean out his "in" box. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

YOU Sir have a PM /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I told him in an email this morning /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif . I am STOKED about this thing. With the ease of install and the HUGE gains, I think this is a BIG deal. My timing was perfect, I had the case and tranny out doing a big trany upgrade so it worked out perfect. I got to install mine before HE did /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Got another pic of the ring on the case. I'll try and get some more pics of it in the truck tonight.

BTW, for the rod that goes from the pass. side of the case to the back of the block, the original will NOT work. I'll prb. end up making one using a rod end on one end and a tab on the other to line it out. That is the only thing that wouldn't bolt back up.

KP

[​IMG]

18. nvrenuf

Hey, what a coincidence... You have a PM too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I bet that stung when you beat him to the punch! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

19. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Normal pricing from the manufacturer is $130 + shipping for the complete kit.

However, If we can do a group buy, there will be a discount depending on the interest level in them and the number of kits I order.

If we can get an idea of the amount of interest there is, I can get a better Idea on pricing. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

20. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I'l take one. What comes in the kit?