Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tired of waiting for FYC for 208...other options?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jekbrown, Aug 15, 2001.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

As far as my 85 K5 goes I have been sitting on my hands for months now, mainly because I don't want to do any upgrades until I fix my slip-yoke-208-bad-vibes problem. I'd rather not test the durability of the JET T700 I want to get by rattling the heck out of it with the bad vibes. =\ Anyway, the SYC seemed like just the ticket for me, but quite frankly I am tired of waiting for it. Considering this, what other options do I have? What would I have to do to run a 205? If I was going to order a JET T700 tranny anyway, is there any way to get it 205-ready from the factory so I wouldnt need to fiddle with converters etc?? Grrrrr!!!

Those bad vibes MUST go, hopefully sometime this year. If I can't get something with a fixed yoke...and thus high angle CV drive shafts, I swear my truck is going to rattle itself to death. Helllpppp!!!! =(

Jason

2. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

How much suspension lift are you dealing with? Is it the tcase, lift or somthing else causing the bad vibration? You may want to checkout highangle drive lines on http://www.pirate4x4.com .

<font color=red> Elkboy </font color=red> 82 K5 fuel injected H.O.305, TH350/205, 14bolt/10bolt and 39.5 TSL's.

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

You could try axle shims and a t-case drop; might cut the vibes down enough that it's not gonna shake itself to pieces.

You could also get a CV shaft with a slipyoke, but that's a little expensive, and in my opinion, not a real good fix.

Best bet: Call or email Jesse at High Angle Driveline and let him know about how interested you are in the SYE, and get a status update from the man who's making the kit. Don't forget to mention CK5 to him...

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch-black...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Or you could swap to a 241 t-case and do a SYE. Not sure on everything you need to do but you need to change the output shaft on the trans for a 205 swap. I think Stephen at ORD can hook you up with everything you need to convert to a 205.

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Will a 241 swap for a 208 case.... or is there more that needs to be done? Seems like they should or maybe just w/ an adapter... anyone know?

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

208 case has a slip yoke anyway.

If you really want to solve the problem, do what I'm doing, swap in a 4 speed/NP 205.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

7. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Far as I can tell; should be a direct bolt-in Capt! Haven't seen anything to the contrary. You'll also have the better of the two cases if you do so!

Brian
    89KBlazer

Build it Right or Don't build it at all!!

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Well first off I really like the 700R4 overdrive and steep first gear... even though they do have some issues. Also considering I'm a 24 yr old w/ about 65 yr old knees. My left need has had 3 rebuilds and now has both the MCL and ACL replaced w/ liagments from my back so I don't like sticks too much... although I can do it ok, I would really hate to be in a bad spot off roadwise and have something happen or even just the annouance of my knee being too sore, which happens alot. Last off I probably don't wheel hard enough to justify the big heavy 205 in there, but the 4 speed swap would otherwise be a sweet swap.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>