Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tired ol' 305...need opinions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by potionmaker, Jan 16, 2006.

1. potionmaker

potionmaker 1/2 ton status

The same old story.....my 305 is just about worn out and was grossly undersized for the heavy blazer anyway. I am getting ready to replace the engine and I would love to get your opinions regarding which engine you would choose for the swap and why? (350?...400?..etc). The blazer wont be a daily driver, but I do not do any serious four-wheelin' either. I just keep it for snowy days, camping, on the beach, etc. Thanks alot in advance for taking a look. If you have any questions, just ask.

BB:dunno:

2. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

come get the 305 in my garage make me an offer all looks good in it

3. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

Ive got a boat anchor around here too somewhere. :crazy:

If it were me I would go for a fuel injected 350 or 400

4. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Go 383, low revving with lots of torque!! :waytogo:

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

What kind of truck ?
    Carb?
    Fuel njected?
    It would really help if you filled out your profile.

6. 30-A rider

30-A rider Registered Member

On something that is not my daily driver, if it was me I would want to save as much coin as possible. You need torque so if it was me I would gat a bone stock low $$$$ 350 crate engine. I think you could get one with 205 hp for about 1000 bucks. Change the cam abd the torque and hp #s will go up. Or since you already have the motor...I would price how much it would be for a stroker kit for the 305 which brings it up to 331 or 335 CID. Contrary to what most say A 305 is a dog cause the cams are weak. An RV cam, a good valve job, good exhaust, a well tuned engine and maybe a stroking that motor will be plenty for a non dailt driver IMO. Good luck in whatever you choose.

7. trailblazr81

No replacement for displacement!!!

You can probly find a 350 in a boneyard for cheap then get a $600 stroker kit and rebuild it. Or find a 400 in a boneyard and do a rebuild.

8. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'd go for a GM HT383, just drop it in there and go

9. potionmaker

Thanks for all of the suggestions!! Sorry for the lack of info on my part. Im new here and didn't know about the profile. (Goin' to fill that out now). Any opinions on a stock 400ci over a 350? My friend can get me a good price on a remanufactured engine. Is the hp and torque gain that great from 350ci to 400ci? Thanks again to everyone!! Maybe oneday I'll get a picture of my POS!

BB

10. trailblazr81

The more cubes in the 400 will give more torque. I would go 400 over a 350, unless I was planning on building a stout stroker.

11. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Do you have a budget amount that you can spend? $500? $5,000? $50,000? Some other number?

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Easist/cheapest/ simplest performance engine install is a GMPP 350 HO:
    330 HP
    380 Ft Lbs Torque
    Basic Dependable Power.

13. potionmaker

I would like to pay no more than ~$1500 for the engine. I have other work that needs done (exhaust, brake work, etc). I'm trying to keep this as low budget as possible. I've got a baby due in a few months and my wife keeps giving me the stink-eye every time I mention the Blazer. :rolleyes: :whistle: I guess I can't blame her. But she's also always on me about getting my "non-working vehicles" fixed or to get rid of them. Ya just can't please a woman sometimes:bow:

14. trailblazr81

Well you can get a crate 350 putting out about 260HP and 330 lb torque for under $1500. Look at Jegs or Summit. Not a race engine but a big improvement on your stock 305. You mentioned you can get a good deal on a reman. engine and theres nothing wrong with that. Or you can find a boneyard 350 or 400 to have rebuilt. Tho for that kind of $$$ its hard to beat the 260 HP crate 350 for arount $1300. Maybe also get a Performer intake and slap on your Q-Jet. I had a 86 Blazer with the dog 305. The 160 HP wasnt fun. I had a 700r4 with 4.56 gears turning 35s.

15. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

16. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My advice would be to A) leave a vehicle that runs alone for the time being, so B) you can save up all the money you need so you get what you want off the bat.

As long as the thing isn't knocking or using a quart of oil a day, it typically doesn't make sense to create potentially new problems for a "fix" when on a limited budget for a motor. (broken tranny, driveline probs, the usual)

If it needs exhaust and brakes, I'd go with those first as long as the exhaust is something you will be able to use un-modified with a new engine. I don't know as you can compare the value of being able to stop vs. being able to get rolling. :)