Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tires a roastin

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Big Red, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

is it just me and my truck (350tbi/700R4/32's/stock gears) or is anyone else not able to roast their tires? im gettin royally pissed that i can't smoke 'em up and put some hondas to shame /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif...i know i should probably change the gears, but i wanna know if anyone else has this problem.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

tbi /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

my 89 burb won't spin them, and thats stick not that slush box thing.

My old carb rig spun them pretty good. My 95 TBI truck with slushy wouldn't do crap as far as spinning them. And my 97 I can prety much do nothing but spin the crap out of them.

3. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

ok, so if i do change my gears, how hi should i go? 3.73, 4.10? (or sumwhere around that) man, here goes next weeks paycheck already. lol. one other thing, when i do change gears, do i need to change any other driveline components (i.e- u-joints to take the stress?) and what the heck is wrong with tbi? it gets better mileage than ur carbs do...and i can run at any angle. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

my Jimmy can spin 31's with a mildly modified 350, sm465 and a np208, in 2 hi, first gear and reverse /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

my blazer can get the 38s loose, cant remember too good, but prolly the 42s also. Im going to put a line lock in it though, because I cant sit and roast em, the truck just jumps into the air, launches really good! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I must be getting old, cause I don't want too roast tires that cost as much as what I paid for my 36" Hawg's. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

Left two black marks outside my house today after coming back from the car show http://michels.nu/gallery/parade unknown internal 350/sm465 3.73. Chirps the 31"'s with very little effort.

8. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

yeah, thanks for not answering my questions stick junkies. lol. that another thing, most of u guys have sticks...stick=more direct action than slushy. and TREO boy (Z3PR /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif) i only roast my crappy a$$ old tires, the new ones are still on my rally rims in my back yard. just waiting for winter.

9. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Have you tried it using the power braking method?

I haven't tried hard, but mine won't turn loose. I blame it on the gears. I'm going to 3.73, but I don't have overdrive. With over drive I'd look at 4.56.

Yes, I know, even with 32s.

10. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

thats the only way i can even get it to think of doing it...it just loads up, @$$ end hi in the air, and nada thing. sometimes it just grabs so much it pushes the whole truck forward, and thats on dry. inw et is another story, in the rain i can do it anywhere. all i need to do is get them to break loose, after that, they're toast. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I'm sure having a 5000Lb+ rig helps out your problem /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

12. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

You could make pretty much anything with a 465 roast em in first gear. Hell, my stock '69 with a '74 350 (non-rebuilt) could burn the tires (32" OD bias ply cheapies) right off in first. If I power brake, I can do it in first and second.

Work truck, '96 C3500 w/ Vortec 350/4l80e, wont spin unless theyre sittin on gravel.

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    TREO boy

[/ QUOTE ] Are you saying I know what high quality is ??

14. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

i cant rost shmit. unless theres snow or rain. revers i can roast them good. 91 tbi 350. i want to go efi and new heads, cams,ect then maby nos. then ill rost the shmit outa em.

15. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I can't roast my 33" tires with 3.08's , could never roast 31's or 32's for that matter . With my locker I can squeal in a parking lot though .

Spinning tires isn't all that , driving onto the Honda's and FLEXING is

16. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

I can smoke the 35's in mine /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif 4.10's and sm465

17. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I can't powerbrake or anything. My truck won't even spin on gravel!!! I blame it on the 33" tires (wouldn't burn em with stock tires either), ridiculously high gears( I'm startin to think they are 2.73....), and a carbed 305. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

18. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Most of the problem is with the stall rating on the auto tranny's. If you can't roast them with your auto, thats really not a bad thing. That means you have a low stall ratio...if you had a high stall ratio like 3000rpm than you could probably roast them a lot easier. Low stall ratio is good for off road, usual means you end up with better torque multiplication or something along those lines. Don't quote me on that haha /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

19. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

how do u power break

20. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

stand on the brake and gas at the same time