Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tires and exaughst ?s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ArrowheadK5, Jan 1, 2002.

1. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

The holidays are over and now I can start thinking about my truck again.
    It needs new tires, the stock ones are pretty bald. What are some good tires for street and mild off-road use? Thinking about noise, looks, traction, and price, not necessarily in that order.
    Also, the stock wheels (rims?) are so skinny. I would rather have some wider tires on there, so I assume that would mean new rims as well. Are 8-lug more expensive?

And finally exaughst. I would like to replace the current system with a simple dual setup without worrying at all about emissions changes or expensive installation. Some nice sound and a little more power would be appreciated. Most kits in mags are for new trucks only, but you guys I'm sure know of some good ones for our generation (87 and older) GMs.

Sorry for the long post, I hope everyone's holiday was a good one. Thanks in advance,
    Tom

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
    - General John Sedgwick (1813-1864), last words

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

my dad just got a flowmaster cat-back system for his expedition. the 50 series sounds GOOD. but that's a new truck. i'm looking for exhaust for my suburban so i need help there too. but the tires, i can offer my 2 cents in. the pro-comp muds are cool, but so are goodyear MTRs. i think i'm going with swamper SSRs next. the TSLs are great but i want better mileage and tire life next time.

LOOK OUT MOAB, HERE COMES THE SUB!!!!!
    scott,
    1989 GMC suburban 3/4t 4" lift rollin on 36" swampers, tbi350, th350, np241

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I like BFG or ProComp MTs, personally. The Procomp MT, especially, is quite quiet on the hwy.

How wide r your rims? How wide a tire do u want to run? Hard to give advice without that kinda basic info...

AFA 8-lug vs 6-lug wheel pricing..I dont know for sure, but I really doubt 8-lug rims are THAT much more spendy than 6...maybe a little, but not enough to worry about.

Exhaust: I currently run edelbrock headers, cat (forget the manufacturer...they r local), and a Flowmaster 50....3" all the way back (see webshots for pics). Works great for me. It really depends on what engine you have, and what kinda wheeling you wanna do. If your truck is going to be a street queen and you plan on having your RPMs way up cause you are racing around a lot...sure get 2.5" or 3" dual exhausts. However, if you want a good low end for off-roading etc, smaller duals (2.25?) or even a single 2.5-3" pipe will do you just fine and cost a LOT less.

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>