Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tires and Gas mileage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Apr 25, 2004.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey how much would real muddin tires like 36" super swampers or 35" mud terrains kill gas mileage compared to normal street tires. Would it cut it in half any idea? thanks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey how much would real muddin tires like 36" super swampers or 35" mud terrains kill gas mileage compared to normal street tires. Would it cut it in half any idea? thanks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I'd be more worried about killing your automadic transmission. When you go to larger tires you really need to regear your axles. Big tires + stock gear axles = burnt up automadic transmission. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want gas mileage, pretty much forget lifting your truck and putting bigger tires on it.

4. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

My main tow rigs ('81 Suburban and '81 1-ton Crew Cab) are both on 35" BFG Mud Terrains.

The crew cab gets about 5mpg towing. The Suburban is in the 5-7 range.

Someday, I want to get my red truck going again with 3.73's and 31" tires and a 350. It would be best for doing the "lighter" towing jobs and getting decent mileage.

What gears are you running?