Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tires and lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72blazer4x4, Jan 27, 2001.

1. 72blazer4x4

72blazer4x4 Registered Member

what do you guys think would be the best combination of tire size and width with lift size?

2. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I've got a 4"lift with 36x12.5 tires. Like it well, but I'm going to go to a 6" lift w/37x13 or 38x12.5. It all really depends on what you are comfortable with and what/how you plan on offroading you ride. Rock crawl'n, mud'n, trail blaz'n, dunes, or whatever. But as far as what I like there it is. Oh and I perfer to rock crawl.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>

3. chevydude

chevydude Registered Member

i have two trucks with 6 inch lift(79k20&79k5) and one with 4 inch lift(80k10shortbed) i run 35 bfg at,s and mt,s and 36 inch buckshots the truck with 4 inch was the most hassle free lift and has best drive line angles(no vibrations) they all run well , but my daily driver is a stone stock 82 k-10
    in my opinion anything over 36 inches tall starts being a disadvantage on the street which in all reality is where a lot of trucks spend most of their lives
    it mostly depends on your driving needs and habits as to what combo is best for you

marcus

4. 72blazer4x4

72blazer4x4 Registered Member

ok what would be better for mud, 12.5 wide or 14.5. around my town just about everyone i see with swampers has them 14.5 and everyone with bfg's have 12.5, and the only thing to do around here is mud

5. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Narrow tires will get you to the bottom of the mud faster, but then again you may never find the bottom. Thats at least from my past experiences. I'm usually pulling the guys out with bigger tires. Just my 2 cents and trust me there's lots of opinions out there.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>

6. chevydude

chevydude Registered Member

i prefer a narrower tire for mud,but with open lugs so they dont pack up with mud ,i guess if the mud where you live is the bottomless kind maybe the wider the better is the answer

marcus

7. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I'd go with the smallest lift for the tire size you'd like to use. I have a 4" with 33x12.50's. But if I had it to do over, I may have went with a 2 or 3 inch lift, and 33 10.50's. The less lift, the less hassel with future problems and vibrations and all that jazz. I was one of the un-lucky ones wiht my 4". Alot of guys on here tell you that they have a 4" and have no vibration problems. Mine was not so kind. I had to have a new driveshaft, had to lower the transfer case, and it still vibrates, so I added a washer to the t-case spacer adn it helped alittle bit more. Still have a slight vibe between 15 and 25. But after last night, finding out my open diff in the rear is about deteriorated, Im gonna replace it before I finish up on the vibes. I did notice that when Im in 4hi with the current setup, that it runs fine till I let of the gas then it vibrates like hell, until i get back down below 15. So I may need to look at my front end. But I dont use 4 hi all that much, or at least I haven't yet.
    Lets see, then if you go with a 4", you'll have to replace the steering arm, (pain in the booty), then probably get longer brake lines, and it seems like the list just goes on and on, just like the energizer bunny.

Go with the 2 inch and skinnier 33's! I'll let someone else preach ther gossple now.

Will work for parts, beer and sex.
    90 Jimi,350/700R4/241/10bolts/3.73's/33's/4"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com>http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com</A>

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

what size tires are you wanting to run? 33,34,35,36,38,? as far as how wide that is a personal preferance. as far as lift i have no lift and 33x12,5x16in tires and no rubbing but i plan on running a 6in lift 38x15in tires so i will need to trim my fenders this is a pic of me flexin with 33's and no lift and no rubbing[​IMG]

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud [​IMG]

9. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty happy with my 15x39.5-15s and 3" lift. The Swampers on beadlocks are murder on the street, I run my old 35 mt's on the road. I use the truck mostly for rock crawling. With the amound of sawzalling I had to do the the fenders, I'd have to do some more work if I played in the mud alot, since it would go everywhere, partially because the inner fenders are long gone. The low center of gravity is probably more important in the rocks than in the mud.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), Dana 60/14 bolt, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd