Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tires and rims 1978 G-body

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by Z3PR, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

As most of y'all know, I have a 78 El Camino. I've been looking at rims. I've decided on 16's because 17's are too damn expencive for both rims and tires. I just need too know, with a 16x8 rim, what back spacing too run, and what size tire. I want the widest tire that will fit the 16x8 rim and will fit the 78 El Camino without any rubbing.

2. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    As most of y'all know, I have a 78 El Camino. I've been looking at rims. I've decided on 16's because 17's are too damn expencive for both rims and tires. I just need too know, with a 16x8 rim, what back spacing too run, and what size tire. I want the widest tire that will fit the 16x8 rim and will fit the 78 El Camino without any rubbing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a '78 Malibu that I ran 16x8" 1984 Corvette wheels under with 245/50-ZR16 Goodyear GSC's under, and it was lowered 2". I used adapters that were 2" thick with these wheels, although I don't remember what the backspacing was on them. The same as fourth-gen Camaro wheels I believe. My Malibu was also lowered 2", but don't expect to get that big of a tire under a G-Body with stock suspension. My Malibu's suspension was so tight that it had nearly NO body roll, so they didn't rub. With stock suspension I think they would have rubbed. They looked awesome though. I'll post a picture from home tonight. I'm at work today... With the adapters (About $150 on ebay) you have a zillion rim choices from GM through the Corvette and Camaro years...

Happy Hunting!
    Paul

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a '78 Malibu that I ran 16x8" 1984 Corvette wheels under with 245/50-ZR16 Goodyear GSC's under, and it was lowered 2". I used adapters that were 2" thick with these wheels, although I don't remember what the backspacing was on them. The same as fourth-gen Camaro wheels I believe. My Malibu was also lowered 2", but don't expect to get that big of a tire under a G-Body with stock suspension. My Malibu's suspension was so tight that it had nearly NO body roll, so they didn't rub. With stock suspension I think they would have rubbed. They looked awesome though. I'll post a picture from home tonight. I'm at work today... With the adapters (About $150 on ebay) you have a zillion rim choices from GM through the Corvette and Camaro years...

Happy Hunting!
    Paul

[/ QUOTE ] For rims, I will be using Centerline Galaxy's.

4. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Happy Hunting!
    Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet Wheels!!! Sorry I can't help with the backspacing... I can tell you that the stock Ralllye Wheels plus 1/2" is all you can get away with, if you have the stock Rallyes...

Here's a picture of my Malibu... Sadly, we didn't have the Digital Camera until shortly before the Malibu's current hybernation, so I don't have many pictures of it. I've always liked this picture because it's got my Wife in it when she was pregnant with my Son, our first child. This was before the Aliens abducted her and transplanted her brain with an evil alien brain that hates all males and dogs. Now she's just pure evil. The Son turned out great and another baby (girl) made it out alive. The car survived as well, but had to be relocated to a safehouse. (She tried to kill it...)

Paul 'X' /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

[​IMG]

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a '78 Malibu that I ran 16x8" 1984 Corvette wheels under with 245/50-ZR16 Goodyear GSC's under,

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the looks of that size tire on Trans AM GTA gold with chrome ring and black cap rims in 16x8 , would be awesome on a black Elky or Malibu . /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif