Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tires/Deisel

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sabot, Mar 12, 2000.

1. Sabot

Sabot Newbie

I have a 83 K5, 6.2 liter deisel, TH400 trans, 3.52 gears in a Corporate 10 bolt.
    Optimum rpm range is 1800-2200?
    Using the formula RPM=(ratio x MPH x 355)/ tire diameter
    36 inch = 2082 RPM
    33 inch = 2270 RPM
    31 inch = 2418 RPM (currenty installed)
    This is at 60MPH

The question is How much will the 36 or 33 effect my Off-Road performance with the Deisel Engine. With a Gas engine I would definitley get a higher ratio but with the deisel is it needed because of its lower rpm operating range. Also will the 10 bolt hold up to 36 inch tires?

Thanks

2. Rockblazer

Rockblazer 1/2 ton status

First of all my fellow diesel fan, you have 3.42 gears, unless you have a special gear ratio installed! This only changes things by 10% though so no biggie. You didn't state what kind of wheeling you do, however you are stretching the strength of the 10 bolt no matter what. Consider an upgrade. Any time you change the tire size performance will suffer, especially for the diesel. Not much h.p. if ya know what I mean!

3. Sabot

Sabot Newbie

Thanks your right it is 3.42 hehe Got the original window sticker and didn't even read it right. Guess I'll go read that "how to get rid of those pesky 10 bolts article on this website" Wheeling I do is some mud, dirt and loose rock hills mostly.

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Many people will disagree with me, but the 10 and 12-bolts can be fairly reliable axles if properly beefed. The big advantages, as compared to say a 14 bolt full floater, is much less weight and 2" extra ground clearance. Yeah, if you want to run 38's and a built 454 don't bother with them, but for moderate tire size and use I think they are a good way to go. It just depends on what you do with the truck.