Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tires for a DD Bias vers Radial

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Lets say you're getting 35's for your DD that you also wheel. What are the pro's and con's of bias tires ???? Pro's and con's with radials ??? The tires I'm looking at (Maxxis Mudzilla LT) are bias. But this is a DD truck aswell as my wheeler.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

as I understand it bias on a DD is doable but not enjoyable. They ride harder than radials and wander on the road. However on the trail they conform better to rocks and such and the sidewall is stronger for more protection. Radials reverse everything I Just said. Thats how I understand it anyway. OH and if you let bias tires site for a couple days they develop flat spots that take a few miles to form out.

3. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    OH and if you let bias tires site for a couple days they develop flat spots that take a few miles to form out.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it is cold outside these flat spots delevope over night /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If it's a daily driver I would go with radials for everyday and get a second set of bias for the trail only. If you have the cash. Or go with some Michelin XLs for the best of both worlds, like I hoped to do before summers end this year. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

My daily driver is a 89 Dodge Dakota. I used to run 31x12.50 TSL Thornbirds. I sold them and now run 325/60R15 BFG AT/ko. Non only is it quieter, smoother, and better handling (especially in the rain), but I'm getting almost 2mpg better than before. Just my experience here. There are plenty of good off road tires available as radials and I would choose one of them. They will probably last longer too.

5. Headbanger

Headbanger 1/2 ton status

Bottom line! Radials last longer on the street. There are radials out there that you don't totally have to give up offroad ability. I had Baja Belted Mickey Thopmpsons on my truck for awhile. Great offroad, wore down fast on the street. Went to Swamper SSR'S and love them. Quieter, longer lasting(I go 60 miles a day to work) and have had no problems with them off-road. They are even a little better in snow conditions than my bias plies were. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I thought Thornbirds were radials? they are like held up as road tires pretty much.

7. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I'm thinkin radial is the way to go for a daily driver. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

8. evilandangry

evilandangry 1/2 ton status

Give the super swamper Truxis a try, mine where not too loud for the first 15K and had great traction off road. exept for the noise level they are far better that say a BFG for on road ice and snow.

9. sunshineoffroad

sunshineoffroad Registered Member

I had 35" General Grabbers on mine, now I have 36" Swamper SX's Bias ply. I like the bias ply better as for traction, and they even have less noise. But as for the flat spots... leave the trucked parked just overnight, and you better not set your coffee on your dash. (I won't even go into the balance these things don't have, even with equal powder in them...)

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

How far do you have to drive for the flat spots to come out of them ??