Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tires for my 88 K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Greek, Jan 31, 2001.

1. Greek

Greek Registered Member

I just purchased an 1988 K5 Silverado Blazer and I've been to sevral tire retail store in my area. They all told me diffrent size tire I could put on. It is fully stock with no lift. What would be the bigest and best tire to put on. I also want to know what does the K5 Silverado Blazer have anything diffrent from the regular K5 Blazer

2. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

Correct me if I am wrong but I think the Silverado included the towing package, and the interior package of power everything. Windows, locks, tilt wheel, cruise, etc. My 88 is a Silverado with all that stuff. When I bought mine the guy that had it before me was running 32x11.50 mud terrains on it and I jumped up to a set of 33x12.50 dunlop mud rovers that I had. They fit fine. Different trucks have different clearances though. Another thing my 88 has is the quad-shock front end. I have duals on each side from the factory but i dont know if it affects ride height or not.

Later

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

not sure about yours but i run 33x12.5x16in tires on my stock 77 and have no problems and no rubbing

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud [​IMG]

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The Silverado is just an option package that combined several individual options such as power windows, cruise, etc......I'm not sure of exactly what all was included but it was that type of stuff.

For tire size, it all depends on what you use the truck for and how much rubbing you consider a problem. When mine was strictly on the street and had no lift, I ran 32x11.50s on both the stock rims and on 15x10 rims. The wider 10" rims did put the front tires closer to the rear edge of the fender when turning but I never notice any rubbing. It was really close but I reallly never had it fully flexed out. After installing a 4" lift it had 33x12.50's, and these would rub slightly with the swaybar removed and flexed out when on the trail.

In my opinion, 33x12.50's with no lift will rub in some situations on all vehicles. Again, the wider the rim the more chance of rubbing. I think that people who do run 33's on stock vehicles either don't encounter situations (flexed out) which causes rub, or either don't notice or don't mind a little rubbing.

5. mudhog

6.2Blazer you are right 33x12.5 will rub if you try but you say that people with stock truck that run 33x12.5 (dont encounter situations (flexed out) which causes rub, or either don't notice or don't mind a little rubbing). well i do pay attention and don't like rubbing and i have not rubbed yet. i have a stock 77 and i did not trim the fenders and i do (flex out) more than some people do and i would have to flex hard to get it to rub. although all trucks are different i have seen some that could not run 33s offroad without rubbing that is why i said that i was unsure about his 88 i was just saying what mine ran. i am not trying to start a fight or argument or say that anyone else is wrong or anything just saying what i have done. no flaming intendid pic of my truck flexed out below
    [​IMG]

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think its important to remember wheel width and backspacing contribute to or eliminate rubbing with a 33x12.5 tire. On a stock or close to stock width rim, rubbing should be minimal, just like Mudhogs truck, the same tire on a 10" wide rim will rub.
    Don't forget your axle ratio comes into play when making a tire selection. The 700R-4 transmission does not stand up to a lot of abuse, and taller tires with tallish gears will create a lot of extra heat while killing performance.
    Find out what kind of gears you have and let us know what you plan to do with the truck. If you rarely wheel it I would probably stick with a 31x10.5" AT on the factory rims.

Rene

[​IMG]

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

mudhog -
    I guess I don't really understand what point you are trying to make. In my previous post the intention was not to disagree or say you were wrong, I was simply answering the original posted question with my opinion and didn't even refer to you at all.
    I think your response actually agrees with what I said originally.......you state that you "have not rubbed yet", and then go on to say that "I would have to flex hard to get it to rub". Well, exactly what I was trying to say.......you can run 33's, or more accurately 33x12.50 tires, on a stock suspension with no rubbing IF you avoid the extreme flexed out positions, or a combination of the tires turned all the way to one side while flexing. In my experience, the tire width and rim width have as much influence on tire rub as tire height does, meaning a 33x9.50 tire on a 7" wide rim should clear the fenders much better than a 33x12.50 tire on a 10" wide rim....assuming the same backspacing on the rims.
    The next question I have for you is exactly was size of tire and wheels are you running? I'm just curious. By the picture it looks like maybe a 16" rims and maybe like a 255/85 tire or something similar.

8. Greek

Greek Registered Member

thanx for your help i think im going to go with the 31's

9. mudhog

6.2Blazer no problem i was just trying to say all trucks are different and some can run more with less so to speak lol i misunderstood your other post and thought you were saying that my tires were rubbing and i just didnt notice it but that was my fault sorry. i am running 33x12.5x16 in tires with no backspacing and 8in rims. but i plan on running 6in spring lift front and a 4in shackle flip+2in spring lift in back and then trim the fenders and run 38x14.5x15in tires with a -3 or -4 backspacing

10. mudhog

oh and in the above pic my left front tire is only about 1 1/2in away from the back of the fender lol so not much more room left lol