Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tires for stock suspension

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89fullsiz, Mar 17, 2005.

1. 89fullsiz

89fullsiz Registered Member

I've come to the realization that my Blazer is not the ultimate trail mobile and doesn't need to be :) It is my Daily driver on rainy days when the Z06 stays in the garage. I wheel maybe 3 times a year and that isn't too crazy.

The Tires are bald, and its got a 150K on the suspension. Only mod is a Skyjacker steering stabilizer.

Thinking Zero rate to up the rear a little bit.

I have 32x11.5 M/T on there now. I'm going to go with a 15 x10 baja wheel and am trying to decide on the stock size or 33 x 12.5's Pretty sure I'm going with BFG AT's ( I know but it is a DD and mostly on the street) Should I stick with the 32's or will the 33's work on my setup? I would not be opposed to a 2.5 flip on the back and a zero lift on the front if that would make more sense...

Now shocks I need six of the bastards. What would you recommend for my use. I know its not the normal will my 42's fit on my 8 inch lift with a little cutting questions. But I love my Blazer and just want to make a nice capable DD out of it. To have fun with Camping sometimes.

Thanks!

Bobby

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I llike bigger tires under a little bit of lift so I am goign to say, go with the 33's.. Stay either stock on the suspension or if things are getting wore out, get some stock replacements. Or maybe a 2.5" lift spring int he front and a 2.5" flip in the rear.

Now that I gave my opinion, can I drive the Z06?? :D

*EDIT* Oh, and as for the shocks. How does your rig ride? If you are comfy with the way it rides, then get 6 new shocks. If you want it a little cushier int he front, only run one shock per corner. And go with a good shock like a Bilstein replacement. :thumb:

3. 89fullsiz

If you are ever in Portland I'd at least give you a ride :)

So Bilstiens huh the back is what I'm worrried about if I hit a big bumpit bottoms out on something...

I like your 2.5 idea just trying to not to go to crazy with it. Definatly want the 10 inch wheels it has the stock alum Silverodo wheels which I believe are 7 inch they look dinky...

Is there a sponsor or a good place to get some bilstiens? Maybe I'll try the two on the rear first and see how it rides.

Thanks!

Bobby

4. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've driven my 75 K5 with 33x12.50s on no lift for over a year. No problem fitting on road. Off road I just had to be carefull not to stuff the tire into the fender when flexing. Someone might be able to chime in on what the optimal backspacing measurement would be to keep the tires/wheels from rubbing on the inside.

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

You can get the BFG AT in a 33/10.50-15 also, I think it would look good on a 15x8 wheel and it would be more street friendly.

6. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I have 33x12.50 on my blazer with no lift. It will rub occaisionally but I have the swaybar on. If I took it off, I *would* have to trim if I went off road at all.

7. 89fullsiz

I love the look of a wide tire though, I'd rather have a wide shorter tire then a taller narrow tire. I know that goes against everything you guys hold holy :) But I'm a drag racer who just happens to love his big K5 :D It takes everything I have not to drop a 400 HP LT1 or a carbed LS1 with a 4l65 in it!

8. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i think this is a good combo for a stock lift. unless u want to trim fenders, then get 33.12.50 on 10" rim. oh ya, and a 12.50 tire will fit inside the rim better with an 8" rim as opposed to a 10". if u are getting a 32x11.50 i think they look a little stretched out on a 10" rim, much better on 8"

9. 89fullsiz

Yeah I was wondering about that. So can anybody confirm that my stock wheels are 7 inch and if so would an 8 inch rim look that much better?

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

In all honesty, I think 4" suspension lift and 33's would make a great daily driver K5 set up. Not too high, and with quality springs like BDS or Tuff Country, should ride just as good if not better then the stock suspension, and shouldn't have a issue with the wider tires on 15x10 rims.

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My opinion running my stock suspension K5 99% road...

For tires, the BFG 33x10.5R15's in AT or MT are the way to go. The AT's are EXCELLENT on the road, but deep snow and mud will test them. MT's a better bet if you think mud and snow are in your future.

I have 3 leaf stock springs in front, which basically are not arched at all...2 leaf front springs typically are already arched with the vehicle on flat ground, clearance is going to vary between trucks, thus so will tire fitment. The width is the problem with 33's though, not height.

It looks to me like you could almost go 34" if the tires stayed at a 10.5" width, on stock wheels. When I *do* wheel, I don't rub with the above tires.

I put 2" rear add a leafs in mine to compensate for the rear sag, and it's about perfectly even with the front now. I did notice the other day that the rear tires have clipped the inner fenderwells a tiny bit, but just enough to leave a clean spot. This is from wheeling of course.

The front suspension in my truck bottoms out on the axle ALL the time...look at where your bumpstops hit the spring/spring plate in front...if those spots are clean, they are hitting. I plan on trimming my bumpstops a bit. SHOULD eliminate some of the jarring ride. On top of that, I've got quad shocks in the front. Go with a single quality shock at each corner.

12. 89fullsiz

That was the original plan my Dad owns a Hi pro shop is even a BDS distributor (although its a royal PITA to get things through him). Just alot of money to put into it. I have three cars a 98 z28 vert (my bling mobile) and a 01 Z06 my racer, if I just had the blazer or didn't pour money into modding the other cars it wouldn't be a problem. The Blazer is a long term project though. Maybe I'll get the 33's which are supposed to fit on stock wheels (right?) then a 4 inch BDS lift (ouch) and save for some really nice wheels later....

13. 89fullsiz

Do you have pics of your ride? Also would you recommend the Bilstiens sorry if these are stupid questions :) This is my first 4wd and I grew up in Alaska!!!

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Bilsteins are really highly recommended in the car world, I saw them recommended here, so I would expect them to be good shocks.

As to pictures. Sorry for the quantity/size, can't link directly.

big pics

I really need to get a picture of the truck standing back from it. My personal opinion is that the tallest tire possible that will fit with the least amount of lift looks the best. Especially if they don't rub. Even hotrodders agree that full wheelwells are where it's at. :) Imagine 2 or 4 inches above those tires with a lift. Yuck.

The rear shot is before the add a leafs, but vertical clearance isn't going to be a problem with 33" tires.

15. if you can afford the vette, why are you even worried at all ?????:crazy:

16. 89fullsiz

If I left the cars alone it wouldn't be a big deal, I just keep spending money on them and the Vette tax is ridiculous. I just paid 1300 for headers!!!!!

So although I have a vette I'm poor. Now if I just had the Blazer I'd be doing alright :)

17. you better be gettin mad pussy with the vette!!:grin:

18. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Super Swamper makes the LTB in a 34X10.50X15 and 16 6 ply 2900+# rating and I think Sams Offroad has them for like $116 each about the same price as BFGs

19. 89fullsiz

Nope unfortunately I have a misses, although I do gets mine its not as fun to talk about when its not strange :)

[​IMG]

20. 89fullsiz

Are those Radials? I have been meaning to check out Costco for prices..