Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tires for the dunes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DesertDueler, Jan 1, 2003.

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

What would work good on my Burb for the dunes. My buddy had good luck on 35x14.50 boggers last time we went. We also had a 2WD explorer out there that did great on 235/75r15s up front, and 33x18.50 paddles in the rear! I have heard the SXs dont do well, and thats whats on my Burb.
    I was thinking so paddles for the rear that are 33" tall and runbs some 33x13.50/15 MT Baja Claws.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

I have owned every different swamper tire at one time or another and the boggers with low pressure are by far the best. The regular TSL design bias or radial which the SX has tends to dig down in both sand and snow rather than propel you forward. Of course paddles in the rear are better, or like the hardcore guys, paddles front and rear (who needs to steer, go straight up the hill right? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Paddles front and rear are cool, but you cant steer like you said, and they kick sand everywhere. It looks cool though having four rooster tails.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

I used to check out what people drive alot out at pismo. one of the fastest things I saw out there (besides something on paddles) was a little jeep on 32 inch bfg at's, flat to the rims. that things was shittin and gittin! granted it had a smallblock in it! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-Scott

5. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

The best I have ever seen is BFG AT's with about 12 psi. We took a Toyota 2WD with a lock rite all over the place at Glamis. It did as good as my Toyota 4WD with BFG muds. The only thing disceiving about them is how you see all the 25 year old dorks stuck on sand highway at Glamis in their F150 2WD white extra cabs with BFG AT's, oh yeah and their 3" body lifts with Rancho shocks. They usually don't let the air out of the tires so they get stuck.

6. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I had Dick Cepek Fun Country (36x16.50x15) tires and in the sand they kicked butt. Sucked big time in the mud though. So keep that in mind if you plan to run both...

7. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

I ran 38.5 tsl/sx's in the sand and they work great. I aired them down low enough that the side tred was on the sand. this made a very wide foot print and seemed to help the truck float on the sand, instead of sink.

8. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dixie Pecks and boggers are the best. Both of which have some ups and downs.

9. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

I saw some guy in fourwheeler who mounted ground hawgs backwards in the rear. Supposedly they work pretty decent but I dont have any firsthand knowledge on em.

10. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

I heard Mick. thom. Baja Belted 39-18's work pretty good. I think 18?

11. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

SAND PADDLES DUH! Get tires that you can air down to 0 psi, then they will work well in the sand. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

12. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I run Peerless Force 4 ATs on my 79. I usually run em at 15 psi and they do pretty good; I could let them down more but I still have to drive on the highway.

http://www.texas4x4.org/album_see.php?id=19 You can kinda see the tread in that pic.

My brother runs Yokohama Geolanders and I've got some BFG ATs on the front of the K30 and balding Goodyear MTs on the rear. They both do well.

13. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

mickey thompson baja belted 39/15/18 are awesome. i have a set. you can air the down REALLY REALLY low, i rode with all tires below 5psi on the road with regular wheels and they were fine, i mudded hard with them at 5psi, and the were fine. they kick ass in the sand.

i'm currently selling mine- PM if interested

14. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

now being more realistic and ruling out paddles, I would say that dick cepek fun countries or mickey thompson baja belteds are the best. The high void of tires like boggers or claws tends to dig straight down when you stomp the gas. Flotation is the key in sand, the wider the better and the lower the pressure the better. Pressure will make all the difference, a 12.5'' wide tire at 8 pounds will hook up a lot better than a 15'' wide tire that is at street pressure. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif