Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tires for the new ride.

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by Z3PR, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm looking at some 235/45R17's for the 78 El Camino. I plan on upgrading the breaks to a 13" rotor so I'll need 17" rims to clear the calipers.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Nice, and good prices too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif You getting that rim you posted the pics of?

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Yeah, gotta have the [​IMG] . /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif I'm thinking either 1.5" or 2" drop spindals up front. I'm not much into the low riders, but a 2" drop in the front and leave the rear at stock hight would look cool. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Well, I'm running 235/60R15's on my Malibu and I can say that they make a huge difference in how the car handles and grips the road.
    Where are you looking at the disc conversion from? I've seen a bunch but I wasn't ever looking at going larger than 16" rims when I was considering it.

Oh I still have the Hotchkis rear coils for it if your interested. The 4dr was just too much for them, but I bet they'd work much better on the elky as long as your not using it to haul stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. pauly383

Have you guys thought about the 1LE camaro or cop car B4C(malibu version) brake swap. Factory way to get bigger brakes with 5 on 4.75 wheel pattern. But the aftermarkets look more bling with the new rims. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Clicky The 2 kits I'm looking at both call for a 17" rim to clear the calipers. They both come with 2" drop spindals also. Kit one uses a 12" rotor and dual piston calipers. Kit 2 uses a 13" rotor and 4 piston calipers. Kit 2 is alittle overkill, so I'll probley get kit 1. I'm probley going to leave the rear stock. Might go to disc breaks and posi with 3.42 gears, but I'll leave the rear suspension stock. Kit 1 info. [​IMG]

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Those are some fancy wheels!!

8. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Those are some wicked kits!
    I was looking at the Camaro upgrade to mine before I got going on this Fiero thing /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

I wanted to get the bigger brakes without spending a ton of cash for them. I was also going to go with a set of calipers from PST. They're aluminum and I think they may have had a set of dual pistons that would have worked too, but either way it was good enough for me and street driving.

But since that thing is so rusted out and the motor is crap anyway, I may ditch it and just focus on the Fiero now for awhile.

Have fun with that thing it sure is a sweet ride /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. pauly383

Definite stopping power /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I'm getting itchy for a car also now , wife wont like it /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif