Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tires in the 38-39" range what to get!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CCRider, Oct 6, 2002.

1. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

Tires in the 38-39\" range what to get!!!!

Any input on tires in this range would be most beneficial to me in my decision!! Looking at almost all swampers and possibly parnelli jones 38" but probably are more street !! Any input on TSL's vs SX's vs Radials? I have 37"ssr's right now , and want to go bigger! How about anybody runnin'39.5" Boggers on the rear and tsl's on the front? How about 6 ply vs 10 on the 39.5's ?any input? Like I said , any help with info would be much appreciated!!! Thanks.................CC /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: Tires in the 38-39\" range what to get!!!!

You'd want the 10 ply 39's for a really heavy truck, I would think. That's a pretty hefty sidewall to try and flex.

3. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

would 6200#'s be considered heavy? I built up a j@#p Tj for a kid I work with and put 38"sx's on it and they dont flex at all on rocks@ 10lbs!!!!! he put avalanche beadlocks on it and usually trailrides with 5#'s in the tires!!!! and they still don't flex that much!! .......................CC /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Michelins! - perhaps the 325/85R16 XML or 11.00R16 XL

Michelin Military tires

They perform well on a heavy vehicle. Rated at 8 and 10 ply respectively. Radial too. They can actually be balanced - unlike a Swamper.

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I would go with the radials if its more street. They ride so much better. Espacially in the cold weather. I think they bulg out better when they are aired down.

6. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

A guy by me has 35"x14" Boggers on the back of his Ramcharger and skinny little (9" maybe) swampers on the front. It looks friggin sweet. In your application, I'd bet you could use a Buckshot Mudder on the front in a 38"-ish size.

7. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

Anyone using regular TSL's , what characteristics do they have? Lumpy?Tread Chuncking?(I think all swampers are that way) The Tires I get will probably be used 60% on 40% off road. Is there a huge difference between 16-38.5-16.5 and 15-39.5-16.5 as far as looks , I will be mounting them on 16.5x 9.75 welds!! I have sizes already. Thanks ......CC /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I have regular TSLs of the 39.5" variety. They are definitely lumpy until they get good and warmed up. They haven't really chunked much tread, except when I spun them at high RPMS on some rocks one time. I like the way my tires look, because the width makes them look taller than they really are. I like the proportion of them. I haven't seen a 38.5 x 16 before, so I don't know what they look like. So far I am very satisfied with them overall and would highly recommend them. When my rear tires wear out, I'm gonna put Boggers on the back. I think it'll look big pimpin'.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Will

9. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

I run 39.5's tsl's on the front and boggers on the back. They seem to perform better than my 38.5 tslsx's did however I havent had them in a nasty rock crawl yet, I have had them in mild rock crawl and they seem to work sweet.I have also had them in the sand,trail riding and hill climbing. overall I think it's a great combo to go with. just my 2cents

10. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

79flatbed what do you have the boggers mounted on? i want to run that combo to but i'am going to be running 8.75" wide hummer rims, so i'am thinking 18" wide boggers would be a tight fit, but maybe i can jam them on though? lol. what do you think?

11. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I have 39.5" regular TSL's. These handle very decent on the road. They felt the same as my 35's. When you come to abrupt stops it gets a little floaty feeling but no problems. This is my daily driver also. I haven't driven them in the cold yet because I got them in August. Flat spots aren't really a big deal because I have hardly felt them in the morning. These are awesome tires and I recommend them to anybody.

12. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

I have my bobbers mounted on 15x10 steel beadlocks. I think you should be ok with the hummer wheel especialy with the beadlocks. I like the way the tire sucks in with the narrower wheel it protects the wheel alittle better. it also made my track width the same front to rear because of the width difference.