Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tires, lift, trimming.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rcknpimp, Oct 27, 2002.

1. rcknpimp

rcknpimp Registered Member

i got a 86 k5. 4inch sus. lift, wondering if 33's will fit without cuttin fenders. also will the corp 10's (3.08 gear)live up to it? or should i go 4.11? or even futher corp 12?

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

you can fit 35's but when you start flexing it out, there will be nothing but CRASH!, SMASH!, BASH! as the tires trim the parts of metal they do not like for you.

Even with 33's if you are really crossed up, there is a chance you might get sme free sipping for your tires.

I had a 6" lift with 35's back in the day, and in a really twisty ravine, my tire got stuck on the fender and i couldn't motor out of it.

If you are doing mild trails, mub, etc. 33's will be fine, but realize that the current trend is towards larger tires, and little lift.

There are a few members here that are running 40 or 42 inch tires with 3-4 inches of lift.

as for axles, i dislike braking, so i alway suggest upgrades. 4.10's are the most common 3/4 and 1 ton gear rations and can be picked up cheap. but with 33" ties, a 14BFF will truly be a boat anchor for you.

Maybe upgrade to a 14BSF and go from there

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

33's will fit fine with a 4" lift.
    I am running 33's on no lift.
    I wouldn't run 33's on 3:08's, 3:73 is pushing it.
    You prolly have a 700r4 so 4:10s would be a good choice.

4. BlazinNewTrails

BlazinNewTrails Registered Member

I've been running 33's with 2 1/2" Rancho lift with no rubbing.
    I just swapped out the 2 1/2" for a 4" ProComp lift.
    I'm having my new 35x12.50x15 Mud Kings put on tomorrow!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    I figure some minor trimming will be in order but that's fine with me!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Now take into consideration that I AM running a front sway bar and I AM running 15x8" chrome modulars.
    If I was running no sway bar and 15x10's I'm sure rubbing would be a problem.

5. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

As with most things, it depends. I just got off the trail, and I had a few spots where the tires were in pretty good contact with the fenders (read: fenders bent, trim torn, tires missing some chunks of lugs). This is with my 33" procomp MT's on a 10 wide wheel, not the 35's my sig says. Also, I have the stock one ton packs in back, TCHD 4" up front, and no swaybars.

6. k5_beater

k5_beater Registered Member

i have 33s with no lift. and i have 3.08s. i am on my second 700r4 and i have 4.10s and 35s sitting in the basement. fendertriming is the only way to go. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. rcknpimp

rcknpimp Registered Member

thanks yall. i'm going with rough country 4" lift, rs5000 shocks, single stabilzer, 4.10 gears, now should i get BF AT's or MT's? i can't decide, i do a lot of city driving also and i would like to hear the radio as i drive. thanks again. this forum does the blazer right