Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tires out of round

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Stormin, May 7, 2005.

1. Stormin

Stormin Registered Member

I recently picked up a set of Goodyear military tires on Ebay real cheap. They are 36x12.50 bias plys. Turns out two of them are out of round (I think). They wobble a bit but it isn't that bad except at 35 mph. As long as I am driving faster or slower than that it is okay but usually just a few seconds of cruising at 35 and it starts the "death wobble". Whole truck starts jumping, tires start flopping, and the only way to make it quit is to slow to almost a complete stop.
    The guys at Scwab were telling me I could get them shaved and have em trued up again. Anybody done this? These tires are slightly used but they still have around 90% of tread life. I'm just hesitant to go shaving off decent tread when I don't really drive the truck that much on the road.
    One other thing about these tires is that if they get round when aired up. I have em at 12 psi cold and still don't have only like 80" of the width of the tire in contact with the ground. I haven't driven my blazer much yet with em but when I have I try to keep an eye on the tires and make sure they are heating up too much. Doesn't seem to be a problem. What do you guys think about running the tire pressure so low?

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

my tsl's also did it at about 35-40 and thay were static balenced and all new frt parts and king pin parts on the 60. just a bias thing i think. and as for shaving them not that much comes off the tire .

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

My guess would be a combination of tires and something loose in your front end.

4. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Does the wobbling go away after geting them warmed up?

5. Stormin

Stormin Registered Member

Mudfrog - I'm fairly sure it is just the tires and not something loose. First of all the tires on on the rear end. The wobble was a LOT worse when I had one on the front. Also I have thrown on a different set of tires and it drives fine. I have had all four tires balanced (doubt that this helped any on the out of round tires) and had the alignment done recently after putting in the new axles.

Jhellwig - I haven't really noticed a difference between running the tires cold or warm. Seems to be more dependent on speed. I did notice however that the other day when I drove it to the trails with four people, a full tank of gas, and all my gear that it didn't do it as much. Thinking maybe having more weight in the back might help.

I'm pretty sure that I am going to take them in next week and have them shaved. Thanks for the input Sweetk30, knowing that I'm not going to lose too much tread makes shaving the tires a pretty obvious choice.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ask Greg72 about skimming tires, he had his done before he moved to the east coast. He will let you know all about it. His were super swamper TSL's.

7. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Have you balanced the tires?

If you have and the weight in you truck is making it go away then I would say you have bigger problems than your tires.

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

also what kind of balence job? i have found that with bias tires static is the best on a bubble balencer.

9. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Ok, I was assuming the woble came from the front. Probably the tires then.