Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tires/ Rims opion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TheGeneral, Aug 29, 2001.

1. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Need opinions. Situation: 89k5 6" 60d, 14ff, fenders cut big, 1 inch body lift, 4.56's w/ Th400 soon to be. Mission: Get tires/rims. Execution: Price and logevity a conern, as is road behavior, rpms with 4.56s and TH400, Looks not major concern. Admin and Log: Drive to from work on road (7 mi each way), but weekends off-road. Would like 39's, but know radial tires limited to 38 TSL' radials, Parnelli Jones 38, or 37 SSR. Steel or forged aluminum rims. 15 or 16 inch. Know have to grind calipers for 15 inch. What in you'lls' opinions is best tire/rim combo given variables above. What is best all around for money and performance on and off road. Command and Control: The wife says I can buy a set, so going to do it why I have permission.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You forgot the O.

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

You Jarhead, I forgot all about SMEAC and the joy of sounding off on a hump. If you are only driving 7 mi to work don't worry about the on-road maners. I'd go with the Swamper SX, if you can get one in a size you like. There are more 16" sizes coming out but the selection is still limited. If you're buying new rims anyway get some beadlocked 16.5" and you will have a great selection. Don't use the 16.5" w/o beadlocks if you like to air down, though.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Tread Lightly!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>

4. wakedog

wakedog 1/2 ton status

i would get 16" black steels w/ 38" parnelli jones, parnelli's cost a bit but i have talked to about 5 people w/ them and they say they are great. They do great all around, onroad,offroad,mud,sand,rocks, andything, i have heard they are great.

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I'd get swamper sx too. Steel belted. Radials SUCK off road, their sidewalls are thin and they slice up. Get the 38.5x14.5x15 TSL SX on 15x10 rockcrawlers. Grind the piss outta your front calipers. Make the trade off. 15 miles a day isn't crap, your tires will last 2 years probably!

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>Come Awn yall...Let's go to LUCHENBACH, TEXAS!!!
    </font color=red>

6. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Hmm, I have not had any issues with the Swamper TSL Radials off road and I am not kind to them. Have been on some nasty rutted, rooted, rocked trails and driven on the sidewalls on some nasty spots and so far no harm done.

I would deff go with the 16" wheels, if you are serious about hardcore trails, the 38" TSL SX"s are your ticket, with those I would want beadlocked 16x10 wheels.

The 38" TSL Radials with a regular 16x10 would also be a good choice as they ride much better on the road and you dont need to air them down as much to get them to flex, so beadlocks are not needed quite as much.

For the ultimate in trail and off road ability the TSLSX has a more open tread pattern than the Radial TSL, and the side walls are armored more.

Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</a>

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Dep, to clarify, my beef with radials is mostly second hand, from seeing my buddies rub rocks and blow tires. I've had one set of 31" bfgs that did this though. That said, I'm currently going to be running 36" TSL-Rs since I got them super cheap used. We'll see how it goes. I've had a couple sets of SXs in the past and NO issues strengthwise from those.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>Come Awn yall...Let's go to LUCHENBACH, TEXAS!!!
    </font color=red>

8. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

hey, if you want sweet rims, I love my mickey thompson classic IIs. Nice and shiny, about $100 each.

Shutup Brain or I'll stab you with a Q-Tip - Homer J. Simpson

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

TSL-SX...no compromises! The 38.5x14.5 SX will be my next tire. I drive 10 miles each way to work 4 days a week plus wheeling so I figure they'll last for a couple of years anyways.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>